Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best OBDII Scanner for Multiple vehicles and multiple types of Codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best OBDII Scanner for Multiple vehicles and multiple types of Codes

Thinking of buying a good OBDII scanner that can clear most makes models of obd2 codes ABS Airbag and any other codes I could possibly clear. Already have a very basic scanner and see the limitations of it. In addition I've used it to clear co-workers codes and they have offered to throw me a $100 bill just for the help. Most of em have had lights on since they got their car worked on and havent been able to get an inspection sticker. I cleared 2 cars of codes which have stayed off the last week or so. A couple other guys have tranny lights and ABS lights on that I couldent touch. MY GF has an ABS light on in her 4runner which most shops havent even been able to pull.

So what do you guys think is the viability of doing mobile diagnostic business? You find big companies drive to their lot and charge people $50-100 to diagnose their vehicle right in the parking lot while they are at work. If you can clear the codes and they stay off its a done deal, if they cant be cleared then they can use the 100$ towards fixing the vehicle.

At that point you have a good idea of what the issue is anyway, either handle it in the lot or more likely outsource the work to a local garage and mark it up a percentage to cover the time spent driving to/from the garage. Maybe you find garages who would give you a kickback for bringing business their way.

The other business is used car dealers, fleet companies and even small garages that may not want to invest the money in a scanner of this level and they just pay you to come in and diagnose the vehicle.

Once you start using basic scanners you realize how limited they are, and a lot of the time small garages will trip a code when working on a new car they cant turn off.

I was considering an OTC scanner as that seems to be a relative bargain for a commercial level tool but then I found Autoenginuity which lots of mechanics use and recommend, plus I already have a Notebook laptop that would work perfectly that I was gonna get rid of otherwise.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html

It does OBDII basic and enhanced codes (from the sound of it this tool is only has real problems with BMWS, Audis, and other typically temperamental euros that really no one can work on outside of the dealership)

Any other suggestions are good though.
I've already looked at the Modis OTC, Innovas, EASE diagnostic. Spent like 4 hours researching.

Also what you do you guys think of the business idea. The biggest unknown I think is if there is a real demand and money to be made.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

EFI Live or HPT for most vehicles. You have a ok idea in theory but I don't think it will work as a business. Most auto parts will check codes for free and most shops will credit the diagnostic fee towards your bill if you get it fixed so its free in the end also.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input.

I am guessing that a lot of people dont know that.. Most of my co workers if they have newer cars bring their cars to the dealership still just to do simple stuff like pads/rotors and they pay absurd amounts of money.

I meen you would think people would figure it out but dealerships still make just a much if not more money on service than sales.

Bump

Quick Reply: Best OBDII Scanner for Multiple vehicles and multiple types of Codes