Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few questions about tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default few questions about tuning

Ok im a newb to the whole tuning thing. I am thinking about tuning out my rear 02 sensors because I am having an issue with readiness monitors. No matter how far I drive they are never ready. Its a rebuilt ls1 engine so its not the stock original. If I tune out my rear 02 sensors I should be good as far as inspection goes? Also if the battery is removed will it retain the settings set for tuning out the rear 02's? I don't want to have to pay to get this done every season around inspection time.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Replacing the battery will not cause your PCM to loose its tune. It will reset the LTFT,s to zero, but if it is tuned right you will not even notice this and as you drive it it will relearn the present atmospheric enviroment.

I am unclear why you can not just fix the rear O2s and leave them in. Did you remove the Cats? When you say a rebuilt LS1 engine is it the original engine just rebuilt back to stock or did you have it modified also? If it was rebuilt back to stock and it has the stock exhaust and air induction system, I would not think you would need a tune.

Your rear O2 sensors tell you when there is an issue with a cat and they also could be flaging for other issues. I would trobleshoot the vehical more and make sure this is not trying to tell you you have some other issue wrong before I tuned them out of service.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Launching!

I remember the mechanic that put in the Jasper Ls1 rebuilt engine pretty sure its stock or near stock advised me I would eventually need to get a new catback in the near future. It was strange though because I passed the next year its just been an issue the last 2 years. I took it to this shop one year because I was in desperate need of an inspection but it felt sorta shady (bad move on my part). Do you think this issue be just as easy as buying new 02 sensors and getting the exhaust rewelded? or buying a catback? either way I have until Thursday before I start running into issues with inspection and tickets but could most likely get an extension if I fail. Ideas? or should i just say screw it and get the tune and cancel out the rear sensors i got a few different estimates? should I run to the exhaust shop near city field or junk yards to get a new one? or should i just pay a little extra to get an illegal pass til I figure stuff out?

Main priority as little as cash being spent as possible:

1) Buying sensors and going to an exhaust shop to see if they can reweld?
(Im thinking this is the most affordable with alot of driving cycles)

2) Paying $120 for an automatic pass but taking a risk because the shops could always report those stolen and if I get pulled over well lol.. ( probally the lazy way out but also the riskiest)

3). Going to a tuner having the rear o2's cancelled out $150-175 and then a 40 dollar inspection. If all else is well lets say aprox $220

What should I do stressed and broke especially after having to buy a new alternator last week.. along with all these other bills I got.. Gotta Pay to ride I guess but lets be be on a budget here what would you do?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

A broken up exh system can well be the cause of the funky O2 performance.....
Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Turns out showing its my egr n my cat that are not ready. How can I get either
Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replacing the bad cat and fixing the EGR is the right way to go about it, but will also be the most expensive thing to do. I know nothing of your states inspection system and I would NOT sugest for you to do anything illegal. Something to note here is canceling out the rear O2 I would think would also be something illegal.

My sugestion is to fix the car right. It does not sound like to me it is a heavily moded car, or moded any at all. Fix the Cats and the EGR and or the O2's and I bet the car will pass. Not the cheapest idea but the right way to go.

Another thing to do is sell the car to me real cheap, it is broken so it has to be cheap. I am just pulling your leg. Quit driving it, borrow a car temp, save some bucks up and fix it right. Good luck.