PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

static 58psi, or vaccuum referenced tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default static 58psi, or vaccuum referenced tuning?

I'm curious to hear if any of you have switched over to running a vaccuum referenced fuel pressure regulator.. It seems like it would make sense when running larger injectors, so the pulsewidth wouldn't have to be shortened quite as much at idle conditions, since the pressure at the injector would be reduced in idle conditions. I'm sure there is an ls1 edit change needed to correct the ofset.. I would welcome any input on this.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:34 PM
wrencher

Just a guess but some of those cars with those monster injectors have the cams to match, & dont really idle to low, or spend much time there.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

My truck came stock with a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

When I was running a stand-alone fuel system and rising rate regulator, I set my base fuel pressure to 43psi. This made sense because most injectors are rated at 43psi, and it also does not tax the pump nearly as much. With LS1 Edit, it is easy to rescale the injectors for flow and base fuel pressure.

If you are running a high boost application and start at 58psi with a rising rate regulator, then at 15psi your injectors will see 73psi, and may even lock up. But if you start at 43psi and add 15psi, you only run the injectors at 58psi with 15psi of boost.

Just much easier on the fuel system to start with a lower base fuel pressure setting.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Teching In

I used to have a turbo, but no more. I still have the vaccum referenced fuel pressure regulator on the car and it runs great and it is easy to tune w/ only one entry across the IFR.