Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer keeps resetting itself

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer keeps resetting itself

Anyone ever have their computer reset itself? The computer in my '99 SS randomly resets itself in the drive way which usually results in horrible gas mileage for a while. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem and if anyone knew the solution

Thanks,
Morgan
Old 09-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

No, sounds like you have other issues.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of this... but the only way to solve it is to get a wiring diagram, get out your multimeter and start checking the power circuits to the PCM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean by resets itself?

The tune can't change....if you have problems popping up, it is likely something else on the car...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well sometimes when i crank my car the trip meter is back at zero the car idles bad for a while then evens out im guessing its learning air to fuel ratio again not sure why its doing this it doesnt seem to have a pattern just randomly does it
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MFCptnMorgan
Well sometimes when i crank my car the trip meter is back at zero the car idles bad for a while then evens out
This is a common symptom of a weak battery that may be on its way out. Check your battery voltage after it sits over night with a DMM. Ideally, a battery should be 12.45v to a max of about 12.8v just sitting in the engine bay cold. If that's okay, do a cranking voltage test. Cranking the engine, it needs to stay above 9.6v for about 5-10 seconds or so. Disconnect the coil harnesses so the motor can't fire and have someone crank the engine while you're watching the DMM screen. If the battery passes those two tests... it could still be dying. You need to have someone with a battery tester put a load on the battery and see how many amps it can put out. Most any auto parts store will do it for you free of charge.

If it needs a new battery and this isn't your daily driver, spend a few extra bucks and put a deep cycle battery under the hood, and/or add a cheap battery monitor. I have Battery Tenders for all my cars. Well worth it.

Quick Reply: Computer keeps resetting itself