Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most versitile PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Most versitile PCM?

I will be putting a boosted LQ4 into a non LS vehicle (Nissan).

I would like to get a PCM (and harness) that has the least amount of "crap" that will hold me back when I get HP tuners or EFI Live.

What I mean is, I have heard that XXXX PCM won't allow you to go over XX boost level. Or tuning with YYYY PCM is harder because of YY reason.

Is there a combo that is "The best" with the least amount of obstacles to hurdle? Are there certain PCM's to avoid?

Goals are high horsepower boosted LQ4, 800-1000whp up to 30psi.

I have searched around, but I think my key words in my searches are my problem because I cannot find the answers I am looking for.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive heard the 98 year pcms are the ones to stay away from
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you want to use electronic throttle, or a cable?

99-02 LS1 PCM's are very powerful, 3 Bar capable (with a custom OS) and have all things you may need.

03-06 5.3/6.0 PCM's are very good, most of them have 3 Bar capability and you can use a stock harness with your engine, little rework to be done. The only problem with them is only a few can use a cable throttle, most are for drive-by-wire

The newer the PCM the faster and better it is, but also more difficult to tune.

I would stay away from Gen 4 PCM's, they have a lot of new things like virtual VE, variable camshaft, electronic throttle, flex fuel etc. They are for 58X reluctor wheels and your engine is 24X (Gen 3), you will need to change the wheel or buy a converter box.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Do you want to use electronic throttle, or a cable?

99-02 LS1 PCM's are very powerful, 3 Bar capable (with a custom OS) and have all things you may need.

03-06 5.3/6.0 PCM's are very good, most of them have 3 Bar capability and you can use a stock harness with your engine, little rework to be done. The only problem with them is only a few can use a cable throttle, most are for drive-by-wire

The newer the PCM the faster and better it is, but also more difficult to tune.

I would stay away from Gen 4 PCM's, they have a lot of new things like virtual VE, variable camshaft, electronic throttle, flex fuel etc. They are for 58X reluctor wheels and your engine is 24X (Gen 3), you will need to change the wheel or buy a converter box.
Thank you, this is good info.

I will be keeping the cable throttle body. And if I ever stroke out this engine, now I know to keep it 24x.

So it looks like I would be best off with a 99-02 PCM. I'm assuming any PCM whether it be for a Firebird, camaro, Chevy truck or what have you.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so it was brought up to me that truck PCM's may not work with car (F-body) harnesses. To make them work, one would have to solder on new PCM connectors. Is this true?

Also, if I buy a built harness and an ECU off of Ebay or wherever you guys suggest, will I be able to just put power and ground to it and fire it up?

Basically, some people selling them say, you can't just plug in some random ls1 PCM and have it work because they all work off of the VIN number. Each PCM goes with that car? I am putting an LQ4 into a Nissan. Clearly VIN numbers aren't going to jive. How do I get a PCM that will work?

I don't want to do anything illegally, but I know I can buy a random LS1 ECU and use it legally... right???
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any GM-PCM work with any GM-engine. Some need more wiring work than others, but they all work.
I have used LS1 custom-made harness with 99-02 truck PCM's and they work fine (only DBW TB needs rewiring). You can even mix Red/Blue connectors PCM with Green/Blue harnesses, only minor rewiring needed.

It isn't true a PCM is tied to a VIN number. This is true when you put a new PCM into a stock vehicle (a relearn is needed) but for a swap you only need to disable VATS. Buy a custom built harness made for your PCM. Plug engine sensors, battery and fire it up. I have done it many times.

Law may only ask vehicle's VIN to match the PCM's for emissions purposes. I don't know if they must match for another reason. Even if that's the case you can change VIN if you want.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Most tuners can change the VIN to match the car

You may want to start with a DBC PCM just in case

You will want to look at the OSID's also