PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard start, Diagnostion needed. HELP

Old 03-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard start, Diagnostion needed. HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased on Ebay a damaged 98 Vette. The car was supposedly driven 6 months ago after the wreck. Subsequently the front spindles and brakes were removed and sold. I bought the car for the engine and running gear to build a 1500# 350HP Lotus Seven type car. But before stripping the body I need to confirm the engine runs.

The car is missing an Alternator and radiator. I have runn the water inlet to the outlet for starting purposes.. All engine sensors are in place and working

After 10 hrs playing with it, Im still floundering. The car will crank and fire and run for 1/2 second, longer with a squirt of Ether. It shows no engine codes, but does fail TCS and ABS (because of the missing wheel sensors on the front). It shows "Service Column" on the DIC and sometimes requires you pull the key for 10secs. It always cranks

I used an Autoxray scanner and found:
The MAF, MAP, Throttle position all function. Fuel pressures up to 55# on key turn. Fuel pressure holds for 30 minutes. Coolant and air intake temperatures are accurate. (50F). The car cranks at normal speed and there is spark present.

All fuses are in palce and good. The injector fuses show 12v both sides.

Listeneing to injectors on crank,I hear them click a few times and then go silent. So Im pretty sure this is a no fuel problem. And it may well be associated with the "Service Column" mesage and the Theft Deterent System. The air bags are deployed. I think the car shound have a column lock. I don't hear alock retracting and the column turns freely. The plastic shroud form the column has been removed. The security light flashes on key removal and go off after turning the ignition on, just like the 2002 I have.

Looking at the shop manuals for a 2002 doesn't really help. What conditions allow a car to crank but stop the injectors from working? Or is there a completely different direction to go? HELP

Search this Thread