Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning question from new guy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning question from new guy

First off, hello. I'm Kevin from Arkansas. I paint cars for a living. I have had my 2000 T/A for about 5 years and absolutely love it.

The question I have is regarding EGR removal. Or rather tuning the code out. Do I need my own programmer, Diablo or whatever, for this? I have access to a GM Tech 2, but the guy who owns it only knows how to do ignition stuff with it. I called the dealer to see if it is possible to just set the DTC to no error and be done with it, or if I have to have something constantly plugged in. They say I have to buy a tuner, but some reads online seem to suggest you can just have it removed. Anyone here familiar with this?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LT1swap.com can turn it off and change a number of other things for you. I believe he gets $75.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have anything else done to your car?
I was going to say you could do what i did, after installing a few bolt ons (including ls6 intake) i got rid of all the EGR/AIR stuff. I sent my PCM to steve williams ("FROST") for a mail order tune. He tunes out those codes for ya aswell and you get a solid tune out of it aswell.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious but how much did that run bestlude and did you notice some decent improvemennts with just a few bolt ons? I have been debating doing a mail order through frost as well or just drive to get it tuned.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Yea see I'm wondering if they just use the Tech 2 to reprogram it or what. I'm not worried about the performance aspect of the tuning, just disabling the DTC for the EGR. I have only done the EGR delete and airbox mod. I don't want to send it anywhere since my other rides are a big brown fuel guzzling van, or the ZX10R. I'll probably just go see if I can figure it out. Nobody that knows anything about this PCM and GM Tech 2 operations even wants to talk to me without me paying them. Hopefully someone here can tell me if the Tech 2 tool is capable of doing this, but if not I'll just try it. All I stand to lose is a 30 minute drive and 6 pack of beer.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All a Tech2 is going to be able to do is factory reflash for stock VIN#. Nothing custom at all, and defiantly not turning off an emission related code. Only aftermarket tuning software will do this for you.

-Brendan.

Originally Posted by ARLS1
Yea see I'm wondering if they just use the Tech 2 to reprogram it or what. I'm not worried about the performance aspect of the tuning, just disabling the DTC for the EGR. I have only done the EGR delete and airbox mod. I don't want to send it anywhere since my other rides are a big brown fuel guzzling van, or the ZX10R. I'll probably just go see if I can figure it out. Nobody that knows anything about this PCM and GM Tech 2 operations even wants to talk to me without me paying them. Hopefully someone here can tell me if the Tech 2 tool is capable of doing this, but if not I'll just try it. All I stand to lose is a 30 minute drive and 6 pack of beer.