Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my motor running lean

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why is my motor running lean

Here is the background. I put a forged LS6, with a brute speed cam, LS6 intake, patriot 5.3 stage 3 heads, 60 lbs injectors and a P1SC into my 99 Trans AM. I had ordered a mail order tune to get my car started. The car would start right up but it would not idle unless I would tip into the pedal and bring the TPS up to 9% where the car would idle at 900 rpm and 14.5:1 AFR.

Today I pulled the the throttle body off and adjusted the set screw to allow more airflow at idle. I pulled off the IAT sensor, TPS sensor and the harness for the IAC motor. I then cycled the key to reset my TPS sensor to 0. I then plugged everything back. I tried to start my car and it barely stayed alive, my wideband was reading 18:1 and it was misfiring. I put everything back the way it was when I had it running, reset the TPS sensor again (it would read 0 in HP Tuners) and then tried again. I could barely get the engine started and it ran super lean then died.

I checked my fuel pressure which was 60 psi and I know the tune worked before. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem? Think it might be related to the TPS?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your mail-order tune is not properly calibrated for your engine. You should not have to trick your PCM into idling by messing with the TB set screw. Back out all the changes and put it back to stock, add ~5% to your idle running airflow, VE, and MAF tables to get it in the ballpark, and tune from there.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EricWS6
Here is the background. I put a forged LS6, with a brute speed cam, LS6 intake, patriot 5.3 stage 3 heads, 60 lbs injectors and a P1SC into my 99 Trans AM. I had ordered a mail order tune to get my car started. The car would start right up but it would not idle unless I would tip into the pedal and bring the TPS up to 9% where the car would idle at 900 rpm and 14.5:1 AFR.

Today I pulled the the throttle body off and adjusted the set screw to allow more airflow at idle. I pulled off the IAT sensor, TPS sensor and the harness for the IAC motor. I then cycled the key to reset my TPS sensor to 0. I then plugged everything back. I tried to start my car and it barely stayed alive, my wideband was reading 18:1 and it was misfiring. I put everything back the way it was when I had it running, reset the TPS sensor again (it would read 0 in HP Tuners) and then tried again. I could barely get the engine started and it ran super lean then died.

I checked my fuel pressure which was 60 psi and I know the tune worked before. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem? Think it might be related to the TPS?
Its the Tune itself.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Yes I know the tune is off. But I had the car running the day before with the exact same tune.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EricWS6
Yes I know the tune is off. But I had the car running the day before with the exact same tune.
I love it when people ask for help, and then argue with the advice they're given.

Good luck...
Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
I love it when people ask for help, and then argue with the advice they're given.

Good luck...
I agree it really sounds like a tune issue, but I'm not trying to argue the advice really. Maybe I just didn't explain my situation well enough. The car ran several times on the tune. Started right up and would stay running with just a little bit of help from the throttle. Now after messing around with the TPS the engine is not injecting enough fuel and there were no changes to the tune.

It could have nothing to do with the TPS, it was just something I was adjusting before the car ran like crap.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Teching In

So it actually ended up being a bad ECU in the car. So every was kind of right.