Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Density tune question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Speed Density tune question?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I've searched and I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. The car I'm considering it on is a h/c/i car. From my understanding is it more or less becomes a carbed car with no choke. Is that a way of describing it? In the summer its in the 80s and in the winter it can be in the teens here. How much is driveability effected from the change in weather? Can running it in different temps cause any damage from being tuned for a different temperature? Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I'm sure this has been covered before but I've searched and I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. The car I'm considering it on is a h/c/i car. From my understanding is it more or less becomes a carbed car with no choke. Is that a way of describing it? In the summer its in the 80s and in the winter it can be in the teens here. How much is driveability effected from the change in weather? Can running it in different temps cause any damage from being tuned for a different temperature? Thanks
Where are you getting your info that "it becomes a carbed car with no choke"? That is waaaaay out in left field.

The only difference in a MAF tune and a SD tune is is the way it measures or calculates airflow, and therefore fueling. A speed density tune relies on the MAP sensor instead of the MAF. You still retain all of your other sensors that report temp changes, intake air temp changes, etc., so you still have your cold start "choke" effect i.e. higher idle, richer mixture, etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what makes a sd tune better then a properly tuned car with maf?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
so what makes a sd tune better then a properly tuned car with maf?
The internet.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I was just saying that because I read of driveability problems by the change in weather and my first thought was my old 305 with a q jet having to keep running with your foot in 50 degrees or less lol. That was a bad way of putting it.