Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM and heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM and heat

I have a longtravel sandcar with a supercharged 5.3 with a pcm out of a GMC Envoy and a speed density tune from TJ at Baker's. Have been having problems with losing throttle (throttle by wire, I carry my scanner and could clear the code and be good to go.) and it sometimes will go into limp mode. Towards the end of the season, sometimes I was having problems with it not turning on the fuel pump when starting. If I jumped the relay it would start and run fine.
My question about the heat issue is when the car was built they mounted the pcm right next to the radiator, so close I can just get a piece of cardboard between the pcm and radiator. Do you think the heat is causing a failure of the pcm? Or any other ideas of things to check? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't say for sure if that's the root of your problem, but next to any source of heat isn't a good location for a PCM or any controller.
The PCM itself produces a fair amount of heat (the big fins are for cooling) so it needs fresh air to cool.
Find a better place and relocate it to see if it solves your problem.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of figured I need to move it, just wanted to confirm my thoughts of the heat causing problems. Now just need to bite the bullet and by a new custom harness, mine is to short to move it fom the current spot.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Move it asap IMO.