PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and headers. Got some codes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cam and headers. Got some codes?

I have a 02 formula. It was completely stock. I installed a eps 226-230 cam. Long tube headers. Tsp ory. After all this. The car is runing ok. In trying to get it as right as possible before I bring it to get tuned in about a week I have codes p0300 and p0332. After this I went and got a new set of plugs. Some Taylor spark plug wires. Changed the fuel filter and cleaned the maf. Still have these two codes. Before the cam swap and headers the car had no codes at all. Seems to run fine. Are these issues that can be fixed with a tune or an I missing something . This is the second set of plugs and wires since the swap and I saw nothing wrong with the first set. Car has about 65000 miles on it and was untouched before this and had 0 codes or issues.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

when u installed the headers did ur remove any o2 senors. when i did mine i cut off my cats and removed the rear o2's so my service engine light is on untill i get her tunred
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

tuned*
Old 04-21-2012, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Yea. I removed the rears. I have turned off the o2 codes that I no longer need with hp tuners. I don't have any o2 coded. I have random multiple misfire and knock sensor 2 low input.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKsNHRA
Yea. I removed the rears. I have turned off the o2 codes that I no longer need with hp tuners. I don't have any o2 coded. I have random multiple misfire and knock sensor 2 low input.

the p0300 is likely from the overlap in your cam.

the knock sensors are under your intake and are common for corrosion and the wire harness could have gotten pinched or pulled. may need to remove your intake and check the harness and make sure the knock sensors and connections are clean.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Ok. I did not remove the intake or any of this stuff for the cam swap. All that stayed on the engine and is untouched. I did not have the code before the swap.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Ok I did a CASE learn with HP tuners scanner and the missfire code has not come back..I still have the knock sensor low input code.Im gonna call the tuner again tomarrow and ask him if i should leave it untill he can look at it or if i should throw new sensors at it.Although the code is still present when i scan it its not throwing the SES light on .
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKsNHRA
Ok I did a CASE learn with HP tuners scanner and the missfire code has not come back..I still have the knock sensor low input code.Im gonna call the tuner again tomarrow and ask him if i should leave it untill he can look at it or if i should throw new sensors at it.Although the code is still present when i scan it its not throwing the SES light on .
i threw a code today and it happened to be the knock sensor. is it something to worry about?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have random misfire if you havent numbed down the Misfire detection with HPT. Its common when cams are installed. Dont worry

Go to the Engine Diagnostic tab on HPTuners VCM Editor. Select Misfire tab

Take the values times .75 across the whole table for both Cylinder mode and Revolution Mode (Idle, Idle (Moving), Medium RPM, Low RPM).

Post your results on the misfire.

Should run about 19-21 degrees of timing @ idle for a base.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0300 comes with a cam install - needs tuned out...

0332 means there is a bad connection - check the wires and make sure they didn't get pulled during the installs...

CASE learn has nothing to do with either... codes and SES light will be back...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Yep. It came back. I called Geoff today and he pretty much told me to not worry about the misfire code. He pretty much said the same thing about the knock sensor. I finally got my new exhaust in and installed. I'm gonna drive it around a little and see if it stays or goes.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

The fix for the knock sensor was to change them. Now I got everything about right other than the header slightly hiting the car. Almost got it right and ready to be tuned. Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply: Cam and headers. Got some codes?