Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain knock in my log

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Explain knock in my log

Can someone take a peak at this WOT log and explain why I am seeing knock around 3-4000 rpm at wot? It is low timing and afr is on the rich side. I am just starting out messing with this tuning thing so please forgive my lack of knowledge. Car is a 99 ss with a D1 procharger making 10lbs max. Log was of a single WOT pull on the dyno.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
greg miller log.hpl (6.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

its possible that its false knock. I spent a lot of time on my tune,and if i was to log a whole bunch of wot rips,then most would be free and clear of knock,but every now and then it seems to show up slightly like that.A 1 count is pretty low,and it decayed pretty quick,which tells me it may have been false knock.What you have to do is do that a few times and see if its there everytime.There are a lot of factors that will setoff knock,and when you tune a car to run really good,you will be on the threshold of pushing it into KR,so dont worry too much if you see it every now and again,you just dont want kr everytime you go wot,and you dont want to see it across the board.If you know what to listen for you can hear it.I can do a wot run and just from listening i could tell if my car is knocking or not.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

It does it everytime around that rpm. Even at part throttle which I would believe is false knock, but scared me at wot. Its near impossible to hear my motor and listen for knock due to the blower whineing like hell and the true duals dumping right behind me. Kinda sucks.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Your afr is dive bombing big time. Any reason why you are commanding 11.7 and satisfied with the off the chart result you are getting? Have you tried less timing in that area to see if you can reduce the knock? Have you read your plugs at all?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What Brad said^^^^^^
And, while U R at it, take a look at the fuel psi, when this is happening.

I don't have HPT, so I can't look at the log. Does the dyno show the max torque in the 3-4000 rpm range??
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

This is of the tune I orrinally got when the car was orriginally tuned by a shop. I just noticed the drivability was a little off so that is when I started messing with it. Im sure it does make max tq around that rpm. As far as plug readings, im no expert at that but from what I can tell, they dont look horrible
Old 05-16-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

We did drop the timing down to 10 degrees all across the board and it still showed knock at that rpm. What else would cause knock there?