Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo problems

I've had my swap running for a few months now and everything went smooth as can be. The only problem I've had is with my speedo. My swap is a 67 camaro, ls1, 4l60e with a PSI conversion harness and New Vintage gauges.

At first, I connected the speedo wire from the gauge to the wire coming off the computer with the speedo signal. Upon startup and driving, the needle would bounce all over with no real pattern. It'd shift normally and drive fine except for the needle. Idle, driving down the street or even parked it would bounce about the same but not read anything remotely close to the speed I was traveling.

Next I spliced the gauge speedo wire to the VSS wire right before it fed into the computer. This fixed the bouncing speedo and it began to act normal, except now it won't shift. I can now enjoy my car and see how fast I'm going but haven't been able to go fast enough to get a speeding ticket.

Has anyone heard of or experienced a problem with hooking the gauge directly to the VSS wire and having the transmission not shift? What would cause that?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done it with stock speedos and they both work good. I Spliced Vss wires very close to the PCM then fed to speedo.
Check your gauge's specs to see if it needs a special signal or any instructions.
Maybe you can feed the gauge with PCM speedo output w/ pull up resistor