PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Misfire running out of ideas please help!!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD Misfire running out of ideas please help!!!!

Hi all, ok so the first time I ran into the misfire I was driving home from work and it had been raining out I pulled out of the lot at low rpm and the car started to shake rather violently and had total loss of power it felt like I was running on 1 cylinder but I gave it some gas and it snapped out of it. This happened a couple more times then disappeared until the next time it rained out. The problem continued when there was moisture in the air and always seemed to go away after a couple throttle punches. After a while it grew worse to the point of not correcting itself and occurring all the time I took it to advance and got a cylinder 7 misfire, p1416 secondary air injection system, o2 bank 2 sensor 2 and a catalytic pressure below threshold. Now my mods before the problem were long tubes, homemade true duals with no cats, o2 sims post cat if there were cats, K&N intake and ac removed. The first thing I tried was removing the AIR pump and that seemed to fix it for a month or two but later on it showed up again. I changed the plugs and wires got nothing, removed the EGR nothing, found that coil pack #4 was arching to the block replaced it and still nothing. My friend told me I might just need to tune out the EGR and AIR but the problem existed before I removed the two. Could the no cats and o2 sensor issues cause such a fuss or maybe a vacuum leak? Any help is much appreciated thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Post a data log and the tune... Someone will likely recognize what's going on.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is moisture related, sounds like electrical... could be any number of things from a coil connector to the PCM and anything in between. As these cars get older, the weathertight wiring connectors become not-so-weathertight... If you were getting a mifire code for #7, I would start there... check the connections to the coil...

You are going to have to go over it with a fine tooth comb to find an electrical problem...
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Teching In

I was thinking electrical too but why would removing the AIR pump have fixed the issue for a month if it is electrical and how does matting it to the floor correct it in the moment?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Teching In

And I'm still trying to get a clear answer on the o2's and the no cats I've heard both yes and no on that issue
Old 07-01-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i say start her up and get a hose at night and start wetting her down till you see arking try not to get the generator wet and start from one and move to the rest of the coils
Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I tried using a spray bottle on it at night and thats how I found the bad coil pack not sure a hose would make a difference but I can try

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD Misfire running out of ideas please help!!!!