Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car randomly doesn't start...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car randomly doesn't start...

I did a head/cam swap about 3 years ago. for the past 1.5 years the car will periodically not start. its gotten worse. about 50% of the time if I go to start it, it will fire right up. If it doesn't, I have to leave the key on for about 10 minutes before it will decide to start. I have good fuel pressure when it acts up, but no spark or injector pulse. So obviously it isn't seeing RPM signal... I have all security disabled, new crank sensor, and I checked over all the wiring/grounds everything seems good. I have a new PCM also. Any ideas????? Im gonna put a cam sensor in it when I do my LS6 intake swap in the next week or so. Just curious if someone has had this problem before... Thanks!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you're going about things the right way. Hopefully the cam sensor solves it. Just curious, have all of the "new" parts listed been installed since it started showing symptoms...or were they installed before the trouble started? Just trying to clarify here...
Old 06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Launching!

All parts were installed after. And I also have done a Cam/Crank re-learn.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Crank relearn is just for misfire detection....but good thing that you're covering all your bases. Seems like it's down to either cam sensor, or the wiring to the cam sensor or crank sensor. Hope ya get it sorted out soon
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

All of your security might not be disabled. Mine did this and needed a new ignition switch and new keys made with a new code. Leaving the key on for 10 minutes is a bypass for the security from what I found on here.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BackNBlue
All of your security might not be disabled. Mine did this and needed a new ignition switch and new keys made with a new code. Leaving the key on for 10 minutes is a bypass for the security from what I found on here.
AFIK, leaving the key on is not a bypass for the security system. From what I can remember, you have to cycle the key on in 3 ten-minute intervals before the car will start with a security system problem.....total of 30 minutes before the car will start. Again, this is just going from my memory.....which ain't what it used to be. Lol
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would replace the ignition relay under the hood. Seen a ton of them go bad and do the same thing you are having a problem with.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Launching!

thanks for the tips!! ill throw an ignition relay in tomorrow!