PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy, in need of a serious tune!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy, in need of a serious tune!

Just picked up this 95 LT1 last weekend. Drove it from CT to Long Island. Can runs lean under idle and rich over 3k rpms.

Previous owner removed the MSD ignition for whatever reason and replaced a bunch of emissions things such as o2 sensors, maf sensor and whatnot.

I dont know the full story behind the car or what it needs/ if i need to put the msd back on...

I included 2 vidoes of the cars idle and another one of its accel (cold start).

I've called 3 places on long island, including Vette Doctors and some others.. no one has the software to tune my car for me. I am inexpierenced enough with tuning (tuned my 03 durango with superchips.. thats about it) that I am willing to pay a shop to do it. Any suggestions?

Below is from the CL Ad:
1995 trans am. 6 speed transmission, 355 motor with forged internals, upgraded camshaft, 20k miles on motor. I have all the paperwork from the motor build, along with other paperwork. Fully adjustable coilovers, new plugs and wires, exhaust manifold gaskets, 02 sensor, IAC sensor, MAF sensor, coil, distributor cap and rotor, water pump and gaskets, all regular maintenance was just done less than 100 miles ago. EBC brakes, drilled and slotted rotors, comes with MSD 6al and wiring harness, SLP loudmouth exhaust, strut tower brace, mid mounted under brace for reduced body roll, 7" touch screen head unit, t-tops, oil was just done, 5-30 royal purple w/ royal purple filter etc etc etc.

And, here it is:

Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try pcmcorless.com I believe they do LT1's.

Might also try Slohawk in CT.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Any thoughts on if it sounds like it needs JUST a tune, or more?

Thank you for your responses
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

If its running on stock tune with a cam and your fuel pressure and spark are good, A mail order tune will be better than nothing, but if you dont have the specs for the cam you may need a dyno tune. If you dont know the cam specs id try to get in touch with the old owner and see if he has a cam spec card or if he knows the name of it. Might also want to ask him if he upgraded the injectors or swapped them out all while you're at it, if you cant identify them visually. The more you onow about the build the better off you are while trying to work out the issue. Anyway, if the cam is a popular LT1 cam like cc503, LT4 hot cam, etc you can mention that if you order a mail tune.

Also, 95 was a transition year I believe in regard to the OBD port. They all have OBD1 computers, but it will either have an OBD1 style plug in, or OBD2 type. If searching for a dyno tuner they'll probably need to know.

I dont know a lot about the 6AL but I would probably leave it out of the equation until you get the car running right, then install it if you feel like you want to. If it were me id probably put it on craigslist.

Last edited by Jeremy 92 RS; 09-19-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Teching In

I'd have passed personally, but now that it's yours....

I'd check all the basics, vacuum, vacuum leaks, plugs, wires, etc. 2nd video is too short sounds like maybe ignition???

How do you know it runs lean and rich?

Quick Reply: New Guy, in need of a serious tune!