Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After upgrades, car idles erratic

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After upgrades, car idles erratic

Upgrades: 241 (hand ported and polished), CAM 228/230 564/564 112lsa (odd but was almost free), LS6 Intake, Ported and polished TB, Pacesetter LT, and Pacesetter ORY. Muffler is flowmaster (Not sure of the series)

A friend helped me by doing an initial tune but the idle still sounds erratic to me. I've included a video below of it idling. He used HP Tuner and did it for FREE, so I cant complain about that part. If anyone wants to look at the tune, I can upload that as well. I asked him could I could get a copy to ask around for some help. Thanks for any input you give... I am a noob, so I won't be offended if you say it sounds okay.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need to richen up the idle, mine did that when I built my new motor also. I did mine through the 400-2000 VE table but plan on running SD mode and using LT1 Edit. I would think you should be able to do so through MAF table also, you would have to find the grams/sec for that area and edit that section ......you might also have to kind of smooth it out also. Not familair with hp tuner but think they would have those two tables.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

worst case get a frost tune to get it close and then have it tuned by someone reputable
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
sounds like you need to richen up the idle, mine did that when I built my new motor also. I did mine through the 400-2000 VE table but plan on running SD mode and using LT1 Edit. I would think you should be able to do so through MAF table also, you would have to find the grams/sec for that area and edit that section ......you might also have to kind of smooth it out also. Not familair with hp tuner but think they would have those two tables.
Thanks, I will pass this on to him.
Originally Posted by ramairetransam
worst case get a frost tune to get it close and then have it tuned by someone reputable
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like it idles awesome to me.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Sadly today, it popped codes for random misfires. I thought I could feel the motor missing.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
sounds like you need to richen up the idle
You got a wideband in your ear?? There is no way you can tell if it is rich or lean from the sound...

You really need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing and get a complete tune with a wideband - don't take it to someone who thinks a tune is throwing it on a dyno and making a few pulls... there is a lot more to it than that.

Also, I would ditch that Flowmaster - worst flowing catback out there - I have seen them down 20 at the wheels numerous times when compared to a Magnaflow...

Get the catback and a good tune, and you will have a nice street combination going there...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 11_silverado_noob
Sadly today, it popped codes for random misfires. I thought I could feel the motor missing.
That is common for a car with a cam in it that hasn't been tuned...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
You got a wideband in your ear?? There is no way you can tell if it is rich or lean from the sound...

You really need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing and get a complete tune with a wideband - don't take it to someone who thinks a tune is throwing it on a dyno and making a few pulls... there is a lot more to it than that.

Also, I would ditch that Flowmaster - worst flowing catback out there - I have seen them down 20 at the wheels numerous times when compared to a Magnaflow...

Get the catback and a good tune, and you will have a nice street combination going there...
Thanks for the reply and info. I am new to the LS motor. If you could recommend someone in the Texas/Louisiana are, I would be in your debt.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 11_silverado_noob
Thanks for the reply and info. I am new to the LS motor. If you could recommend someone in the Texas/Louisiana are, I would be in your debt.
The best thing to do is post up in this section and the local section looking for reputable tuners in the area. I am not familiar with who is good in your area, but there will be plenty on here who are.

Quick Reply: After upgrades, car idles erratic