PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I finally converted over to E85. So far, I've just changed the stoich and haven't messed with the timing. I have some 42lb. green top injectors that I am planning on installing to make up for the ~30% more fuel needed. I've been looking for the things that will need to be changed in the computer to run these injectors, but people haven't been too helpful. Everyone wants you to buy Greg's $250 DVD.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick search on here found this.
http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...torDetails.htm
Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

Shoot me a PM and ill give you the correct data for the green tops or the newer green Bosch pencil injectors. They both are nice injectors.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Great info. Thank you very much for your help. I have been searching throughout this forum and a whole bunch of others for info on how to do this right. The HP Tuners forum site is useless because all people will say is to buy that damn video. What's a forum if people aren't willing to help. I'm looking for guidance, not for someone to do it for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I would recommend against the green tops. There are much better injector choices in the world. I would say to go and get these, http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...?productid=412

Get them in the flow range you want. These have much better low pulse width reaction in case you want to switch back to gas and need the smaller pulse width for idle.

I would recommend the Stoich adjustment as well. this is the proper way to do the conversion. Also, I would, as others said, go a little leaner on the stoich, say 10:1 and let the O2's do the correcting. As far as the timing goes, ethanol has a higher tendency to pre-ignite, so you need to be careful about adding timing at the closed loop, part throttle tip in parts of the cal. You may not see knock register on the screen, but it will be apparent on the plugs. I would suggest finding a flex fuel truck cal and bench mark off the timing curves and enrichment strategies. GM does know what they are doing, and mimicking a cal for E-85 that they have developed is a really good starting point.

Good luck, E-85 is a great premium fuel that is sold at a price less than the break even point, when compared to premium. Just beware, if you live in a place and you were not running 10% ethanol before, you may need to keep up on the fuel filters as E-85, or any alcohol for that matter works as a cleaning agent and it will loosen all the gunk that the gasoline has deposited over time. The unfortunate part is E-85 always gets blamed as being the culprit, when in fact it is the nasty pump gas that left all the junk.

It's kind of like this, a hoarder owns a house, then dies leaving it to his daughter, a cleaning lady. The daughter moves in and starts throwing things out and has massive amounts of garbage sitting on the curb. The neighbors think the new person that moved in is disgusting and can't believe that kind of trash has moved in next door. The neighbors don't take the time to now the truth, but if they did, they would have a different take on the matter. But now, the whole neighborhood rejects anything the new neighbor does because they have a preset train of thought.

Wow, sorry about the rant, it's just that there are always neigh sayers to E-85 and I just thought I would extinguish that issue.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MSURacing
I would recommend against the green tops. There are much better injector choices in the world. I would say to go and get these, http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...?productid=412

Get them in the flow range you want. These have much better low pulse width reaction in case you want to switch back to gas and need the smaller pulse width for idle.

I would recommend the Stoich adjustment as well. this is the proper way to do the conversion. Also, I would, as others said, go a little leaner on the stoich, say 10:1 and let the O2's do the correcting. As far as the timing goes, ethanol has a higher tendency to pre-ignite, so you need to be careful about adding timing at the closed loop, part throttle tip in parts of the cal. You may not see knock register on the screen, but it will be apparent on the plugs. I would suggest finding a flex fuel truck cal and bench mark off the timing curves and enrichment strategies. GM does know what they are doing, and mimicking a cal for E-85 that they have developed is a really good starting point.

Good luck, E-85 is a great premium fuel that is sold at a price less than the break even point, when compared to premium. Just beware, if you live in a place and you were not running 10% ethanol before, you may need to keep up on the fuel filters as E-85, or any alcohol for that matter works as a cleaning agent and it will loosen all the gunk that the gasoline has deposited over time. The unfortunate part is E-85 always gets blamed as being the culprit, when in fact it is the nasty pump gas that left all the junk.

It's kind of like this, a hoarder owns a house, then dies leaving it to his daughter, a cleaning lady. The daughter moves in and starts throwing things out and has massive amounts of garbage sitting on the curb. The neighbors think the new person that moved in is disgusting and can't believe that kind of trash has moved in next door. The neighbors don't take the time to now the truth, but if they did, they would have a different take on the matter. But now, the whole neighborhood rejects anything the new neighbor does because they have a preset train of thought.

Wow, sorry about the rant, it's just that there are always neigh sayers to E-85 and I just thought I would extinguish that issue.
I just couldn't pass up on the deal for these green tops. I do have my stoich set at 10:1, but also because California's winter blend of E85 is truly 70%. I still haven't messed with my timing, as I am still learning. I was planning on starting off by adding 2* accross the board, but do I do it on the "high octane" table, and should it be starting at a certain RPM?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hcb1700
I just couldn't pass up on the deal for these green tops. I do have my stoich set at 10:1, but also because California's winter blend of E85 is truly 70%. I still haven't messed with my timing, as I am still learning. I was planning on starting off by adding 2* accross the board, but do I do it on the "high octane" table, and should it be starting at a certain RPM?
Yes, high octane is where you need to put the timing, but I am only going to re-recommend to look at a flex fuel truck cal!! It will point you in the right direction. If you are going to be tuning, you are going to be learning!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MSURacing
Yes, high octane is where you need to put the timing, but I am only going to re-recommend to look at a flex fuel truck cal!! It will point you in the right direction. If you are going to be tuning, you are going to be learning!!
I'm definitely going to be looking at a flex fuel trucks ECM. I'm going to check the repository and see if there is any there.

Quick Reply: E85 tuning