PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap/pcm compatibility question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine swap/pcm compatibility question.

So i have a blown LQ9 in my 2002 camaro z28 m6. I need to get a new engine now, and i want either an LQ9 or LQ4 or like an LS3. my question is, is a pcm compatible with other engines? if not, how hard is it to change a pcm for a car? is it just as easy as changing the box? are all the connectors the same? sorry for such a noobish question
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The existing pcm in your car is fully compatible with either LQ4 or 9 it will have to be re tuned depending on engine mods cams ets.

Your PCM will not run a LS3 due to it having a 58x crank sensor and 4x cam sensor but Lingefelter has a converter box that plugs into the the above crank and cam sensors and allows you to run a LS3 or any 58x crank sensor engine on your existing LS1 pcm.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
The existing pcm in your car is fully compatible with either LQ4 or 9 it will have to be re tuned depending on engine mods cams ets.

Your PCM will not run a LS3 due to it having a 58x crank sensor and 4x cam sensor but Lingefelter has a converter box that plugs into the the above crank and cam sensors and allows you to run a LS3 or any 58x crank sensor engine on your existing LS1 pcm.
Okay so it depends on the reluctor wheel of the crank and cam if a pcm is compatible, did i sum that up correctly?

Quick Reply: Engine swap/pcm compatibility question.