Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to tuning

A friend of mine with some extra credits let me take his HP tuner home to tune. After opening the program and adding it to my car, I was overwhelmed with the options available for my car.

I have a stock 99 Z28 M6. What are the first thing's I should be concerned with doing?

So far I lowered my fan operating temperatures, fixed the discrepancy in my speedometer, and disabled skip shift.

I am not concerned with emissions requirements, I want the most performance I can get from this car before I change anything.

Any help I get is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Start w/ saving the stock tune. Then, do some data logging, see what needs attention.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Start w/ saving the stock tune. Then, do some data logging, see what needs attention.
Exactly. As your car is stock, start by saving the stock tune.

From there: Research. Go on HP Tuners website. There are tons of articles for "beginner" tuning. That's how I started. Link up with people that are good at tuning. That's how I expanded my skills. Finally. Make little changes... log, take notes, repeat. My wife just shakes her head every time I change something major on my car, as she then has a computer sitting in her lap for the next 2-3 weeks as I adjust the PCM.

BTW, I'm at FT Irwin, CA.... so I'm somewhat in your neighborhood. Feel free to PM me if you have Q's (after doing the initial research).

Quick Reply: New to tuning