PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning with the VE vs. tuning with the PE table?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tuning with the VE vs. tuning with the PE table?

Ok I tuned my car last year with the IFR table to get a negative L-fuel trim and got the O2's at 920 on both banks wit the PE table. I bought a WBO2 to realy dial it in.
Should I just use that and the PE table and get it at 13.0 all across the board?

Or should I go back to stock and tune everything with the VE table? If I do this, what way do I go ex. got 12.5 AFR at 4000 RPM's how do I get it to 13.0? I read the stickys and just dont understand the formuals in them. The car runs strong as is other than hunting for idle on hot starts. Please help me out I need to get this car running perfect.

Mods in sign. plus a new LSX intake, ported TB, ASP pulley and true duels with bullets.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang Hat'r 2
Ok I tuned my car last year with the IFR table to get a negative L-fuel trim and got the O2's at 920 on both banks wit the PE table. I bought a WBO2 to realy dial it in.
Should I just use that and the PE table and get it at 13.0 all across the board?

Or should I go back to stock and tune everything with the VE table? If I do this, what way do I go ex. got 12.5 AFR at 4000 RPM's how do I get it to 13.0? I read the stickys and just dont understand the formuals in them. The car runs strong as is other than hunting for idle on hot starts. Please help me out I need to get this car running perfect.

Mods in sign. plus a new LSX intake, ported TB, ASP pulley and true duels with bullets.
Thanks
The hunting at hot start - If surging you probably need to adjust IAC and or timing a little. What RPM is Idle set at?? IAC and Idle RPM need to be synchronised.....trial and error.
If you are happy with part throttle manners I don't think it is worth the effort to completely redo your VE table. You don't want to use the VE table for LTFTs. Use the IFR table for your LTFT adjustments.

Hope this helps some.

joel
Old 04-22-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idle is set at 800, it just goes from 600-1200 rpms for maybe 5-10 seconds then its fine. How would I adjust the IAC? I know the timing its just 1-2 degrees but thought that was just for start up?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang Hat'r 2
Idle is set at 800, it just goes from 600-1200 rpms for maybe 5-10 seconds then its fine. How would I adjust the IAC? I know the timing its just 1-2 degrees but thought that was just for start up?
Here is some great advice-by NoGo

Please post that this is a starting point, and people should not just inject those values directly into their tune. Alot of people, depending on their cam size, are going to have to make adjustments.

Here are some things you can try.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Speed: 950

Idle Limiters --> IAC Park Position: Raise all points from 40C and up to 21

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air In Gear: All points 60C and up to 8.6

Fuel --> Main VE Table: Multiply column 400 rpm by 60. Multiply column 800 by 80. Multiply column 1200 by 90.

Ignition --> High Octane Table: Add 2 deg to all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec

Once done with this program, start the car and check for surging. If the car surges, unplug the IAC and see if the surging stops. If the surging stops follow below.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air in Gear --> All points above 60C to 9.2

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control reduce the Idle Air in Gear Table .2 (further if necessary). If the idle holds at 2000 RPM for extended periods of time reduce the P/N Airflow Decay table for all points above 10 MPH by 5% (multiply by 95) until this stops. Be vary careful on this table.

If car keeps surging with the IAC unplugged two more things to try.

Multiply Main VE table by another 95% (total reduction of 85%). Repeat until the surging goes away, or until the car begins to hesitate when you take off.

High Octane Ignition Table. Reduce timing for all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec by 2. Repeat, but don't reduce it any more than 6 degrees.

If your car still doesn't idle after this, then you have other problems, and should start looking elsewhere.

Says it all.....a Classic!! Good Luck.

joel