PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E38 tuning without VSS

Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E38 tuning without VSS

Hey guys i posted this on HP tuners forum but havent had any replies in a couple of days so thought id try here,

I read somewhere that if the e38 doesn't receive a VSS it will use the base spark table only. Is this true? I am trying to pinpoint a possible reason for my car not responding too well to tuning on the dyno and being consistently low on power. Possibly tuner is adjusting wrong table?

I have a TH400 without a speed sender in it.

Also, does no VSS have any impact on the throttle not staying wide open throughout the rev range or anything like that?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems it's a hit or miss situation.
I have seen some with no Vss and they use the high octane table, but if yours is not you have no other options.

However, hooking a Vss is easy. Dakota Digital sells an adapter for TH350/400 to allow cable speedo along with Vss signal. The transmission tail must have the speedo gears to make the adapter work.
It doesn't matter if the gears aren't correct for the tire/rear gear you're using, as long as the PCM sees the car is moving it will switch to high octane table. In fact, you can adjust it in the tune to make the PCM read the correct speed.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way of tuning around the fact it doesn't have a VSS though? Doesn't the base timing map only go up to around 4800rpm? Can it be made to work for WOT and 7000rpm?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read a number of times about issues folks had with tuning without VSS. From what I can tell it's not really possible. The ECU uses the VSS signal to help calculate load. I think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E38 tuning without VSS