PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap runs rough when hot..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swap runs rough when hot..HELP!!

Hey, just finished my ls1 swap in my 85 Grand prix a while back and got it running great... Anyways was driving home from work today and it was about 97 degrees outside. I have never had a issue till today it seemed like it was running out of fuel or "bucking" under a light load and seemed to get worse under a heavy load. I got home checked the fuel psi and it was at 60 both at idle and under load. I took it for a test drive and it ran great till it got to 200 degrees according to my Solus scanner then it started to buck, backfire, then it wouldn't even idle right and even die.. I crossed out fuel delivery for now, o2's seem to be working ok, and I replaced the ckp sensor when I got it tuned because it it would would act like it ran out of fuel but it ended up being that. I replaced it from one from o'reilly's... So i'm thinking o2's?? I tried pulling codes but no dice.. It ran awesome for a few weeks and now it sucks!! I had hopes of taking it to test and tune night on Wednesday... any help or tips are appreciated btw I searched and now my brain is scrambled...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Im having the same exact issue. I even changed my intake gaskets. You may have a Vac leak.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Will double check tomorrow, thanks! I would have thought it would have exhibited those symptoms a while back... Man I wished I would have gotten it fixed for test and tune. I need to get it back and running ASAP!! any more ideas?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad coolant temp sensor that produced the same conditions you are describing.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Launching!

when the scanner was hooked up it read 200+... according to my original temp gauge it went higher then normal when it started acting up usually at around 180... my tuner said he had the fans tuned to come on at 180 or so.. so it was weird it got that hot even though the fans are constantly running. It was pretty hot when I drove it so i'll check that too. I want to cruise my ride! Also according to my scanner I also read the alternator could affect pcm operation if the ac ripple voltage is over 300mv??? and it still charge normally... I tested mine with a snap on tester and it said it wasn't charging?? but the volt gauge and voltmeter read 13.8 volts....

Last edited by 85GPLEf41; 08-22-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Swap runs rough when hot..HELP!!