PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Camaro/LS3 Crate engine-best tuning software?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 Camaro/LS3 Crate engine-best tuning software?

I have a Standard Motor Products 2534 IFlash Programmer(pass through device) that we use to download factory tunes from GM, Ford, Chrysler, ect. I asked HP Tuners as to whether I could use this box and just buy the software and credits from them but have NOT gotten an answer from Jay. Can that be used to download software for this LS3 crate engine that GM states needs to be custom tuned? I also have several scanners-Mentor, Modis, Launch X431 GDS. I recently got the Launch and I am still learning its total capabilities.
The ecm is looking for the cam actuator solenoid that this engine does not have and thus it starts hard, stalls frequently and has a hard code P0010. The car was built by Halo Super cars for GM to show at SEMA a couple of years ago. It was called Camaro XS. Now I need to get the car to run right so that it can be street driven. The turbo engine that was in the car for SEMA was pulled and this 525hp LS3 crate engine from GM was installed in its place. Halo is not able to tune engines.

For the future I am looking for your experiences with the various software solutions that are available and the companies that offer them. I am not looking for someone to trash any company in this thread. I am looking for the good experiences, the positives and the negatives. For the mods, I am not looking to debate whatever in this thread, just what someone's personal experience is like or has been like. I am looking for a longtime relationship and would like to hear how your experience has been with being able to learn the software and your experience with the companies tech support teams. I want to make the 1st choice my best choice. I have read the sticky thread above and all of it is great info but want to hear your experience with the various companies so that I can make an intelligent decision.
I asked HP Tuners as to whether I could use this box and just buy the software and credits from them but have NOT gotten an answer from Jay. Before that, he returned my messages every time within a hour or so. I guess that means that he does not want to answer the question as to whether the J box that I already have would work or not. I assume it would because if it would not work it would seem that he would be quick to tell me that.
I have been in driveability for decades. I have not custom tuned a vehicle. I would like to have that ability. As far as this car, I am looking for a basic tune for the GM Crate LS3 525hp engine. I would like to have the ability to work on the fuel maps, ect. I am looking for a solution to this problem with a reasonable cost. I am getting ready to swap in LS engines into older GM cars. For instance I have a 5.3 on a stand. I have changed the cam, springs and heads (LS1, ported, polished, decked .030) that I am thinking about putting in a 65 chevelle. I would need to tune the ecm for that car. And I have plans for others. This is something I have wanted to get into for awhile. I have a repair facility and like I said, have been doing electrical and driveability for quite awhile now. Please let me know your thoughs and experiences as to what is available and what is the most cost effective way to do what I need to do.
Unfortunately Michigan is still in a recession and cost is always a factor to customers. thank you jim

Last edited by jxnslotcar; 11-06-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spell out my reason for thread
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your choices are going to be HP Tuners or EFI Live but without more details on the controllers you have and what cals are in them now it's hard to say for sure. You have to use each company's interface with their software. Both products will accomplish what you want to do. I've used both and feel HP Tuners is a little easier to use but I use it more. People that use EFI Live more would probably say the opposite. And ODB2 tuning and inexpensive rarely go together
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Sorry about details. It appears to be stock ECM that came with the car. It looks like the car had a L99 engine in it. I had thought about inputting a VIN that had come with the LS3 but was thinking that may cause more problems with antitheft, ect. I also can understand why people would like what they are using. I am looking for what your experience is good or bad with Tech Support, customer service, ect. Truthfully I am not looking for the most inexpensive but from your experience which ones I would be most satisfied with in the long run. I am probably not explaining myself very well. I would really like to find one in which I could use the pass through device I already have which is an Iflash J2534 Global Programmer. Thank you for your input.

Last edited by jxnslotcar; 11-06-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have tuned several of LS3 crate motor setups all with EFI Live. I haven't tried tuning them with HPT, I never think about until later. The GMPP controller gives you a checksum error but efi live can correct it and then tune it with no problems. The gm tune in them leaves alot to be desired.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Teching In

This car still has the stock ECM in place other than it is now in glovebox with VIN recorded inside and it is unlocked. I can pull the calibration with my Launch X 431 GDS scanner. I am thinking when car went to SEMA it may not have even ran when it had the turbo engine installed. You can google the car with Camaro XS and Halo Super Cars. Halo did a tremendous amount of body mods including chopping the top 2 inches. It is a good looking car.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

does any of the software suites capable of being used with a 2534 Global programmer pass through device? Like they may have a drop down menu ask which pass through device you are using?

Last edited by jxnslotcar; 11-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Camaro/LS3 Crate engine-best tuning software?