PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming for new tire pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming for new tire pressures?

Im not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to reprogram the TPMS for lower pressures on my truck. I understand its a truck in a car forum, but I'm sure the computers operate similar and I cant get any feedback on the truck site. I have an 2008 k2500 and put slightly larger tires and want to run 50psi in the rear instead of 80psi that the door/computer is set for. I was told the Remote door lock controller section in the BCM is where I adjust it, but I do not have access to a Tech II. I went to the dealer and they showed my the TSB stating "customers may ask to set their tire pressures sensors lower, but do not do this as it is a liability issue".

Does anyone know where I can take it to to get it reprogrammed? Can I remove the BCM and send it somewhere? Is there a scanner I can buy that will do this?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the snap on scanner could do it on a 1500 but I was going from P series to LT tires
Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Your best bet is going to find an independant shop that has a Tech2 and see if they will do it, I doubt any deal will mess with it. Most shops that do alot of GM tuning will probably have a Tech2.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Scrape them off your original rims. Throw them all in your spare tire with the normal tire pressure and be done with that troublesome system. Cost is free. Don't give me any BS about it being a required safety system cause cars have done just fine for over 100 years without it.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Scrape them off your original rims. Throw them all in your spare tire with the normal tire pressure and be done with that troublesome system. Cost is free. Don't give me any BS about it being a required safety system cause cars have done just fine for over 100 years without it.
In the beginning, before I had a car with it, I thought it was a nice feature, but now that I have 3 cars with them and anytime I rent a car up north, I get to stare at the light for low tire pressure. On my truck I have the light and the Message Center blinking.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My shop has a Tech II, and it has a menu to change the tire pressures.

Russ Kemp

Quick Reply: Programming for new tire pressures?