Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Transplant

Beginning a performance budget(iron5.3 ) LS transplant into an old POS,what PCM is budget friendly,& configurable? I read a bit about Megasquirt.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Megasquirt can be a challenge. I had my ECU built by DIY Auto tune, Inc. The last time I built a circuit board was a Heath Kit in the late 70's. That didn't work out so well. So I had a pro build the ECU.

Then I built the harness. That was nice because I could put Weatherpack connectors where I wanted them to make maint easier. And it was slightly cheaper than buying the ready built harness.

Tuning and getting everything to work the way I wanted it to was the challenge. The programming software is good, but not great. And I had to learn all the in's and out's of EFI tuning. The learning curve is steep.

But, that was for a 600+hp SBF.

For my current LS1 project, I have been told that the stock ECU and harness can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. Although I was tempted to use another Megasquirt, I'm using the stock harness and ECU. I'll add some connectors here and there, but otherwise leave it stock. Once the car is assembled, I'll have it dyno tuned.

My current engine is fairly stock for now. Just a small cam and head change. But as my engine program progresses, I may change to a different ECU later one.

The one thing I really like at bout the MS3 is data logging. The ability to log all that data during a 20 minute race is very valuable. I would consider the Megasquirt3 just for that feature alone.

Last edited by .boB; 02-18-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Teching In

+1 for stock harness and ECU. It will save you an *** load of time and money on this build plus it is more than capable. You can be limited by RPM but you will have to overcome a lot of internal engine hurdles to get it twisting 7500 before the ECU starts giving you trouble.

There are a handful of ECU's that LSx swappers look for, but you should be able to find any of the information that you need right here on this forum.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Thanx for the feedback,its an intermittent work in progress (due to cost of living). Slowly but surely ill get it together.
Thanks again,this site is great!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be fooled, the stock ecu tuning software like hptuners and efi live have a learning curve as well. Even being familiar with some stand alone ecus and other tuning software I am still learning every day. Don't get me wrong, it is doable, but you will need to do some reading. The further you go from a stock set up, the more you will need to learn.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

GM performance controller package. Comes with pcm, harness, gas pedal MAf and O2S sensors then can be programmed further with programs such as hp tuners.

Quick Reply: Beginner Transplant