Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners help on trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners help on trans

Hello, My gto has a problem on the 2-3 shift where it does not shift at the limiter it bounces the limiter and then shifts

I pulled the tune off my 04 automatic GTO just to see if it was my trans slipping or is my tune was a little off and not a trans issue and noticed that the 2-3 shift was 86 mph. I quite dont see that happening

the car is a factory geared car on a 275/50/15 rear tire. would setting this to about 74mph be a smarter move to eliminate this issue?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could try that or adjusting rpm also. PCM needs to see mph and rpm to shift. Your transmission could be showing its age too and starting to slip some.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
You could try that or adjusting rpm also. PCM needs to see mph and rpm to shift. Your transmission could be showing its age too and starting to slip some.
the trans has maybe 2,000 miles on it since being built, hoping it isnt a dead trans yet.

so would I be setting my mph to be closer to my redline or just a mph where i would like it to shift?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM
9 Second Club

I had this problem with my camaro when tuning i raised my shift points. and started to get a limiter type feel going from 2-3. after some exploring i found that my fuel cut was too low. under hpt it is "engine; fuel; cutoff, DFCO"; "Fuel Cutoff RPM vs. Gear"
Old 02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfodave
Hello, My gto has a problem on the 2-3 shift where it does not shift at the limiter it bounces the limiter and then shifts

I pulled the tune off my 04 automatic GTO just to see if it was my trans slipping or is my tune was a little off and not a trans issue and noticed that the 2-3 shift was 86 mph. I quite dont see that happening

the car is a factory geared car on a 275/50/15 rear tire. would setting this to about 74mph be a smarter move to eliminate this issue?
The stock WOT 2-3 is 68 mph, and a 275/50/15 tire is .2" shorter than the OEM tire. At 86 mph, you will be hitting close to 7000 rpm. And the shift mph has to be at least 5 mph lower than the shift rpm.

Can you post your tune? What is your desired shift rpm?

Russ Kemp
Old 02-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedMilleniumZ28
I had this problem with my camaro when tuning i raised my shift points. and started to get a limiter type feel going from 2-3. after some exploring i found that my fuel cut was too low. under hpt it is "engine; fuel; cutoff, DFCO"; "Fuel Cutoff RPM vs. Gear"
thanks man that does sound like what i may be having, im gonna pull the tune tomorrow!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Russ K
The stock WOT 2-3 is 68 mph, and a 275/50/15 tire is .2" shorter than the OEM tire. At 86 mph, you will be hitting close to 7000 rpm. And the shift mph has to be at least 5 mph lower than the shift rpm.

Can you post your tune? What is your desired shift rpm?

Russ Kemp
desired would be between70-78 if possible I am going to pull the tune tomorrow, thanks for your help

Quick Reply: HP Tuners help on trans