Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using an MSD 6010/6012

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using an MSD 6010/6012

just to make sure im understanding this correctly,

If im using a 6010/6012 WITHOUT a MAP sensor, I must either program my own timing curve or, if I use one of the six provided chips I must account for a default 20* that it will automatically add for not having a MAP sensor hooked up.
If I use a MAP sensor, the chips will perform as programmed.

Is this correct? if so, the next question is (and im not lookining for specifics as I understand every engine runs a little different but if you can give me "ballpark" figures it would be a huge help) It seems that the ls's dont need nearly the timing that gen1 used. for example, a gen1 with a fairly radical cam and compression is usually quite comfortable with around 35*-38* of total timing and having it all there at around 2500rpm even at part throttle (this is assuming there is no vacuum advance just base and mechanical). On ls's it seems I see alot of guys on this board maxing out the timing at less than 30*, more than not. Also, i noticed that around the mid rpm under part throttle you guys seem to actually dial back the advance by a few *'s. whats up with that?
so I guess what im trying to ask is if I map a timing curve that starts around 8* at idle and curves up to around 26* by 2500 rpm am I asking for trouble. OR do I have to do it by vacuum?
If so, im fairly lost as I have never done it that way

I guess im kinda lost anyway or I wouldnt be asking these silly questions

Quick Reply: using an MSD 6010/6012