Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running without a MAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running without a MAF

I've been looking for an answer to my question, but most of the people asking have stock or simply bolt on cars.

I think my MAF may be acting up. I've cleaned it, cleared the pcm and all that but no difference.

with the MAF plugged in, the car isn't a slug by any means, it just seems to run a little rougher and seems more sluggish getting into the throttle and even at wot.

With the maf unlplugged the car seems to run and sound cleaner under load. and seems to have more power at part throttle and at wot. The car also bucks a little less say at 55mph in 5th. it just drives better with the maf unplugged. it also smells slightly less fumes

ive seen thread where they said, "just run with no maf if it runs better since the car defaults to speed density". But these all refer to cars that were mostly stock or with some bolt ons.

So the question.... woulld i be ok simply running with the maf unplugged being that i am an h/c car? would the tuner have modified the VE tables to accomidate the internal mods?

Also I pulled the MAF out of my 2004 Avalanche and put it on the camaro and it worked great, seemed like i had more power, it ran similer to if i had the maf unplugged.

See the specs in my sig... this car was tuned WITH an SLP MAF.

I have no idea how my fuel trims are effected although with the SLP MAF plugged in, they stay close to zero % during normal driving if that makes any sense. (according to my scanner) and with it unplugged or with the other MAF they are negative %

Thanks!

Last edited by Dummybait; 04-28-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

so what do you want to know , your maf is probably bad , so you have two options , replace the maf with one thats like whats in the car now or have it retuned sd . Which is speed density and that doesnt use a maf.

I dont have a maf on my procharged setup and it works great and is much smoother .

My bro has a ported 243 heads big cam car thats getting sd tuned.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need another maf like the one you took off your truck , usually about $50 at a junkyard.

My understanding is the SLP maf has a resistor on it ( a spoof) so its always lying about how much air is actually passing by it
Old 04-30-2014, 05:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys , thanks for the replies. I had been cleaning the MAF with TB spray. which i always have, with no issues. Well i spoke with to my tuner and he said to try actual MAF cleaner made by CRC or a dedicated electronics contact cleaner. Needless to say its driving like it should thus far. Gonna put a few more miles on it this weekend, but i'm 99% sure my issue is resolved.

Quick Reply: running without a MAF