Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/TC/BCM questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS/TC/BCM questions!!!

Ok, ive read all the stickies. I had a burnt up 3ch rear in my 99 TA(surprising huh?). i found a good 4ch rear from a 02 SS m6 car. I know the gears are different and that will be adjusted in tune. My question is instead of looking for 3ch axles and drilling a hole in the case for the sensor, why cant i retune the ecm or bcm or find a bcm from a 4ch car and swap it out so i have abs and add TC? harnesses tend to be the same for all models as its cheaper to produce.

So in theory, i need a TC switch, a 4ch cars bcm, and have it flashed to my VIN or have my tune adjusted instead of living with no abs and having to look for axles and drill into my rear end.
Anyone have any expericence or lead me in the right direction? seems to easy to be possible.. and my old axles are toast...
Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need the whole abs hydraulic unit, brake lines, throttle cable, traction control unit etc
Really not worth the effort, just pull the bulbs out of the gauge cluster and drive on
Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is an actual unit for the traction control? Was hoping it would be possible to program or swap bcm. Guess I will be looking for a good 3ch unit. Is it a year difference or option difference? My friends 00 has 3 ch and traction control.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to use the 4 channel rear but you would need to swap the brake lines across from your 3 channel. Then in order to run ABS, you could either find a 4 channel harness (I have one) or extend your 3 channel harness to the drivers side speed sensor. Not sure anybody has done this but it should work. If it was my car... Id just find a 3 channel rear.

I don't think you can really go from 3 channel to 4 channel very easily though without tons of wiring. It all depends on whether or not GM uses the same wiring harness for 3 and 4 channel cars. I know they differ some but to what extent I'm not sure. Plus like mentioned above, you would need a 4 channel EBCM, route a brake line from the engine bay to the rear axle!, traction control computer (one under the dash), traction control module plus all the throttle cables. I have most of this stuff if you really want to give it a try though.

ABS and traction control are not at all tied to the PCM either in the sense you can tune it.

Last edited by LopeyZ; 05-14-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has traction control its 4 ch, no tc 3ch
Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 3-channel with about 1500 miles since being rebuilt with a new HD Eaton posi unit, new 3:23 gears and bearings. but location is eastern, Pa.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah guess ill be using no abs until i find another 3ch rear. got good deal on a low mi unit only reason i used it, mine was trash.

Quick Reply: ABS/TC/BCM questions!!!