Sponsored by:

Sho me speed tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sho me speed tuning.

Hi everyone,

I see everyone posting there experience with tuners, so here is mine.

I have a 83 Chevy C10, mods are vortech supercharger-non intercooled, 228r cam, 4l60e with stall, 373 gears, flex fuel injectors. When I took the truck to Wes at sho me speed there were a few issues with the truck that are MY Fault, but before all the performance mods the truck ran great. Now it is a project truck, so it was not all nice and neat when I took it to him. but here are the issues that are my fault.
1. 1 1/2 gallons of bad, mixed with a full tank of new 91(that's the best gas I have where I am located)
2. o2 sensors were not reading. They where hooked up and wired correctly that's even what his guy said, but would not read.
3. stock spark plugs
4. the crank case was pressurized.
all that was my fault and I understand that.

When we put the truck on the dyno and start tuning it the truck blows up. at this point I didn't know if the issue was my truck or the tune. I load my truck up and we leave. I start doing some research, and everyone is saying it sound like the tune is what blew up the truck, bc it melted my pistons.
so I call Wes and ask him for my tune money back. I didn't ask him to fix it, and at this point I wasn't completely positive it was him, even though he said the timing was in the twenty's. I am not a tuner, and he would not send me the tune files so I sent my PCM to another tuner. he said my timing was mid to upper twenty's and was way to much for a boosted motor. He sent me the tune file and I sent that file to another tuner that said the same thing. I told them the issues that the truck had and both said the tune was the reason for my truck blowing up.

Now some people may have had a lot of good experiences with Wes, I have seen him do a good job on a few friend cars. he got them good numbers. but I have also seen him run a car 19 times on the dyno to get that number.

I am just wanting to give people this info so that they can make an educated decision on who tunes there rides. I am not saying he doesn't know what he is doing I am saying he messed up and did not make it right. I did my research before posting this so I didn't give false information. but now that I have all the information I think people should know.

Sorry that this post is so long thank you for reading, and I hope this helps.

On a side note Tuned by frost is great, did a mail order to for me with a lq4 Datsun that has forged pistons, big cam, and ported heads and it runs great.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any info regarding tuners and shops is good for people on here to see. That shop is pretty close to where I live. I had e-mailed the about one of the fuel pumps they sell and no one ever bothered to get back to me. Communication is big in my book, so if a shop or business doesn't communicate well, I won't do business with them.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I understand, I have been talking to justune in KC to retune my truck. he has been really helpful. I tried to go to marti racing by joplin, but I took my Datsun to him and he didn't show for the appointment, so I left my car there for 2 week and he said my pcm was locked, then said it wouldn't run, ect. so I got a mail order tune from tuned by frost. he did a really good job.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How did Frost tune it when it was locked. I thought if it's locked, the only way to tune it is to have the original tuner unlock it or get a different ECM.

I've heard good things about Justune as well. He tuned two of my buddies cars.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Teching In

that's the thing, it was never locked he was stalling so he could wait to tune it later. and tried telling me he had to buy another pcm and it would cost me 65 dollars. that's pretty shady to me.
The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (10-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Sho me speed tuning.