Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vvt tuning for ve

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vvt tuning for ve

Using bluecat tool with hptuners on a 13 lc9.
Question 1 tool shows 2 positions 0' and 12'. Am I supposed to tune ve in both positions, or just 0' and tool correlates the other positions.

Question 2 when tuning ve I notice cam is retarding while mapping the histogram do I leave it as is or do I turn vvt off while mapping my histogram

I already posted in hptuners but have not recieved a response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks on advance
Mike
Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Teching In

installed 222/236, 114, lsa, with +3* built in, so cam sits at park at 104*. not going to disable vvt altogether, just curious about what everybody does, I am "NOT" asking for secrets, just pointers
Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Just to add for anybody that see's this, I have opened a few files from the repository, and compared the vvt segments. The files I found that have aftermarket cams, and still utilized vvt, I keep seeing a common thread, that all are tuned for the park position, but when you look at the retarded positions, there are no differences in calibration, the map stays the same, onlike a stock file which transitions throughout the cam sweep, which leads me to believe that these tunes even though friveable are no where near optimized for when the cam starts to actuate in the higher rpms.

so here is where I am now.

I have realized that using bluecat you have to tune for both 0*(park) and whatever full retard position you wish, I decided to use 12* which is what bluecat has as my default. I have mapped both tables, using 2 seperate tunes, one with cam at park, and another with cam at 12* all the time. After mapping several times, I feel it is getting really close, I have my fuel trims within 5% in both ve tables, and 5% in maf table, in the final tune I am within 10% throughout the entire power band. I know I have a lot more fine tuning to do, but from where It started and where it is now, it is light years better
Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Teching In

So to continue this thread, and possibly help others that are looking for answers. I would like to give a big thanks to MikeOD, he opened my eyes, and made me really think about what I was trying to accomplish. Basically I was fed a bunch of bad information, and after viewing the bluecat software I made things way to difficult on myself. After some dyno time last night and this morning I have found what I feel is the best way to tune in ve with the variable cams. set your cam maps where you "feel" they will end up by rpm. then use tuner cats to pull the equations but I found that if you don't click the vvt box, it simplifies things. This is where I made my mistake. If I had a stock cam, sure checking the box to optimize the cam in all positions would make sense, but with my cam that just over complicated things. So I built the map without the vvt box checked, and zero'd all the intake cam tables. Basically only leaving the base virtual ve tables. then I adjusted the ve cuttoff rpms to my redline rpm. for tuning purposes, just to ensure no problems. Instead of trying to tune different cam positions, I let the cam like it would in real time. This way making all airflow corrections to 1 map

By doing this you are still allowing the pcm to see airflow changes with cam actuation, but using one map, because you are controlling vvt, versus the pcm controlling it for different torque and lean cruise type scenarios, where the pcm will require seperate maps for seperate conditions.

I dialed in the ve, then tuned the maf. I made a few loaded pulls and played with cam timing, I initially started at 10* cam retard(from a 7* advance park) giving me 3*retard. after playing with it, I found the motor liked 2* at 4000, through 12* at 6000 best. SO I set it there in tune, remapped ve, which was still very close, then turned ve cuttoff back off at 4000 like factory. Redialed the maf, and done.

This still required a lot of extra steps, but from what I was trying to do before, this greatly simplified what I needed to accomplish, and to be honest, my ve tables are much smoother vs trying to tune the individual tables. All in all I get the most torque out of it down low, and the the best hp up top.

I did not do anything to the lean cruise segments, I zeroed those out for now. I may try to play with those later, but for now. It pulls like a freight train. Which is saying alot for a 5.3 in a crew cab truck on a 8"lift with heavy 35's

again thanks to MikeOD on hptuners forum for opening my eyes. One simple statement made it all make sense

Quick Reply: Vvt tuning for ve