Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle tuning help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle tuning help!

I have recently done a cam swap in my truck and i am having trouble getting the idle right. I have adjusted my throttle blade as much as the tp position voltage will let me and my IAC counts are still 175+. Ive read and followed numerous tutorials on this and just cant seem to get it right. Is it time to drill my tb blade or is there another fix?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you trying to adjust it with the car warm or cold? Idle airflow already done? VE table tuned? Idle tuning is about the last thing that I do on a tune. I get it enough to run and that is it.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

post your tune file
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Launching!

I have been focusing solely on the idle. I haven't done rafig/rafpn yet as I figured my iac counts needed to be in line first. I have adjusted some idle airflow tables and base spark tables according to a write up over on efi live forum. I should also add that this is my first venture into tuning anything.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Are you trying to adjust it with the car warm or cold? Idle airflow already done? VE table tuned? Idle tuning is about the last thing that I do on a tune. I get it enough to run and that is it.
lol, everyone has a different perception of what a "good running vehicle" actually is...

As far as the idle, if you follow the known way of calibrating your VE table, followed by the MAF table, both in open loop, using a wideband, you can resolve a large portion of your issues. Additionally, EOIT can help out with big cams at idle.

If you have to drill a hole in your throttle blade, you are not tuned correctly. Band-aid fix.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roastin240
lol, everyone has a different perception of what a "good running vehicle" actually is...

As far as the idle, if you follow the known way of calibrating your VE table, followed by the MAF table, both in open loop, using a wideband, you can resolve a large portion of your issues. Additionally, EOIT can help out with big cams at idle.

If you have to drill a hole in your throttle blade, you are not tuned correctly. Band-aid fix.
If you are going to quote me then don't try to change what I said. I didn't say "good running vehicle".

I said that I get it enough to run. Then I tune the rest of the car and then the idle last or close to last.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Launching!

I finally did the raf corrections and it's idling good now except at startup. It will start and idle fine for about 20 seconds then it just dies. It's fine after i keep it running with the throttle for a minute or so.

Quick Reply: Idle tuning help!