Notices
PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Diablo | Pantera EFI

Battery won't stay charged

Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default Battery won't stay charged

I have a 2001 Camaro SS with an LS1 and has an MS3 cam. As I drive, my battery constantly loses voltage and won't stay charged. I've put a new battery on it and new battery terminals, replace the alternator. I had both the alternator and battery tested and they were both good. I have a red top Optima battery and a reman alternator. I had to car tuned at a Dino shop and it was running fine until one day I was driving and it just slowly started losing voltage and then completely died. I can get a jump but you still won't charge the battery to 14.5V. The volt gauge reads about 11 V and then starts dropping. Sometimes random, it will hold 14 1/2 V for a while. Then randomly it will start dropping and then completely die. I had a sound system hooked up at one point and it never did this. The system was not in the car whenever the car first died on me. I have no idea, obviously, what the problem can be. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you check for

loose ground ? corrosion on b+ cable ? loose plug connection ? shorted excitor wire ? is power steering leaking on the connection ?

all of those can cause this issue. I've seen grounds become brittle and crack/break apart, I personally had an open excitor wire when my car wasn't charging and chassis ground are one of the most common items forgotten when everything is reinstalled.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sorry but I do not know what the exciter wire is. I'll try to look it up real quick if no one has posted what or where it's at. And I have no idea which rounds to check honestly. I really don't want to take it to a shop tomorrow

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery won't stay charged

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: