PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will faulty 02 or crank position sensor automatically throw a code?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will faulty 02 or crank position sensor automatically throw a code?

will faulty 02 or crank position sensor or their wiring automatically throw their respective codes or is it possible for them not to show up? ive heard other vehicles where they wont necessarily throw one. trying to troubleshoot my car running like crap. thanks
Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

In the past mine had a shorting wire to the crank sensor (touching header) and it would not throw a code, the car would just stall out on left turns.

I think it takes a couple key cycles for a sensor failure to trigger as well. Once the sensor came unplugged and no codes the first time I checked it, but after trying to start the car a couple times the crank sensor code was there.

IIRC if the crank sensor is bad or not working properly you won't have tach movement while cranking.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Its very possible to have any of those go out and not have any related codes. I just had a 2013 with a bad MAF last week that didnt throw any codes.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the fancy gm diagnostic tool the dealer has recognize faults , shorts and bad grounds? If so ill take it there before wasting my time on troubleshooting. Ive started the car a million times due to constant stalling and my tach seems to work fine its just bouncing a bit. But im sure its due to the engine running like crap
Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't the different codes tell it weather it is a ground issue or signal issues? I though there were like 3 different codes for the crank sensor.

I also thought the only time the computer would recognize the crank sensor being faulty is during cranking.

Quick Reply: will faulty 02 or crank position sensor automatically throw a code?