PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Popping Fuses, Common Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014 | 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Default Popping Fuses, Common Problem?

I have a CEL light on my 04 Silverado, but cannot diagnose because the fuse for the cig lighter/OBDII connection blows as soon as I put a new one in, with everything powered off on the truck. Just wondering if this is a common problem with a known solution or if I am going to have to take it somewhere. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2014 | 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Assuming you have removed the cig lighter from the socket, the socket itself it probably damaged causing a short to ground. I've even seen sockets with a penny stuck in them causing a short to ground. Next step is to unplug the connector on the socket. This will be for the left socket. The right one is on a different circuit.
Old 09-10-2014 | 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Assuming you have removed the cig lighter from the socket, the socket itself it probably damaged causing a short to ground. I've even seen sockets with a penny stuck in them causing a short to ground. Next step is to unplug the connector on the socket. This will be for the left socket. The right one is on a different circuit.
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow when I get home from work. I am clueless when it comes to electrical issues, mechanical I can hold my own, but eff electrical...

Quick Reply: Popping Fuses, Common Problem?