Sponsored by:

Can fuel tank size be tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can fuel tank size be tuned?

Hey Guys,
Can the fuel tank size be changed in the tune? I'm getting ready to do a 5.3 swap in to an '89 K5 here in CA and will have to swap over all of the smog and evap stuff to pass the smog ref inspection. One thing that I've been told may be a problem is the fuel tank pressure sensor may throw CEL's if it's used in a different sized tank since it would pressurize faster or slower than what the computer thinks it should. Is there a way to change the fuel tank size in the tune to prevent this? I've been searching around for a few days but most people just remove all of this stuff and I haven't been able to find a clear answer yet and was hoping the tuning experts here might know..

All of the components are coming from a donor 2000 Yukon XL and the PCM is an 0411 from a 2002 Silverado that didn't have any of the EGR or Air stuff that my donor does. The Silverado had a 26 gallon tank and the K5 has a 31 gallon tank and I will be adapting the newer sending unit to the older tank to keep all of the required hoses and FPS in place. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes you can change the fuel tank size in the tune.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect thank you
Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Yes you can change the fuel tank size in the tune.
But does changing the fuel tank size effect the emissions tables that determine how long the evap tests should take? I don't think so. From my past experiances, the fuel level tables only effect the gauge and fuel related displays, such as mpg, distance remaining and such on vehicles that have those display options. The only thing I know it effects in the evap would to tell it when the tank was between 25% and 75% so it could perform the evap tests.

Quick Reply: Can fuel tank size be tuned?