Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock... I expect some

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knock... I expect some

I’m hoping a few of you that have much more LS1 experience could give some advice. I have a basically stock 2001 C5 LS1 (K&N, trunions, ls6 pcv) with some minor tune massaging. My concern is knock.

I have false knock, so I added 50% e85 and dialed back the Global Gain. Love this tune and no worries, BUT I want to run pump when traveling to distant road tracks.

I’m in AZ and the 91oct here sucks *****… at least with my BMW turbo experience. So I’m expecting at least some knock even with good tune and cold temps.

My gain in the upper MAP is 1.75 compared with 1 stock. At 1.5 I get false knock. So I’m a little concerned that I have basically disabled my knock sensors.

Attached is my timing histogram with <50deg ambient and 91oct today. Common to never see knock with a good tune?
The scan is 186kb, so a lot of driving and at least 5-6 WOTs.
And I’ve disabled burst knock, so I’d think I should see some KR during transitions.

I’m guessing the knock threshold is basically = (Gain) x (Knock sensor level)
I don’t see how you’d ever gen knock at <50 MAP… the gain is so high.

Any thoughts would be great!
Attached Thumbnails Knock... I expect some-timing-gain.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to bump this thread.

An interesting observation in some of my logs...
Older log would have KR, but it would reset to 0 during a shift or when I let off.
Newer logs KR is X but during shift or when I let off it ALWAYS hits 1.9 then gradually transitions to 0

What could cause the difference? I'm not seeing anything in the tune that would alter this.

Logs below showing difference.
Attached Thumbnails Knock... I expect some-knock-retard.jpg  

Quick Reply: Knock... I expect some