Sponsored by:

Dies with throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies with throttle

Hi All, happy new year to you all.

I have a 02 Camaro that has a problem that I just can not solve. I can get it to fire, idle rock steady at 950, rev up and come back to idle without dips or stumbles, idles at 14.2-14.5 afr all day long, it will go into gear without issue but as soon as you touch the throttle to move off it just dies straight away.
The car is a 408 with TFS heads, MS3 cam, fast 92 manifold and a Fast 92 throttle body and a TH400. I read about people having issues with the small IAC opening on the FAST 92 TB's so we opened that up massively. For me to get the DYN AIR and Desired air to line up I had to move the effective area table across to 52 from about 16 and increase the numbers by nearly double. I have the IAC counts sitting around 40-50 when hot but it doesn't seem to open up far enough to start the car, sometimes it needs some throttle to help it. If I open the TB blade any more the IAC drops too low. I have tried adding throttle follower.
Attatched is the tune in HPT if anyone wants to take a look and offer some advice. There is a log aswell, I thought it was one with the stalling shown but it looks like this one is all in park.
Any help would be appreciated, been at this for 3 days with no luck.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
camaro 408 13-12-14-23.hpt (457.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: hpl
camaro idle.hpl (137.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-01-2015, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I don't have HP tuners so I can't look at your logs, Is it going lean or rich right before it dies? I know when tuning carbs if it dies or stumbles off idle while under load it's usually a fuel enrichment issue.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I don't have HP tuners so I can't look at your logs, Is it going lean or rich right before it dies? I know when tuning carbs if it dies or stumbles off idle while under load it's usually a fuel enrichment issue.
this
Old 01-01-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Again I don't know if this is your problem but I'll further explain what I'm thinking.
When the engine is not under load and you depress the gas pedal it will usually rev with very little extra fuel needed but under load a carb for example has an accelerator pump that will manually add a shot of fuel to the sudden rush of air that is coming in as the throttle blades open. On a fuel injected engine you don't have an accelerator pump so the computer must command the enrichment, Without it or if it's set to low you will have a stumble off idle or it will just plain die from going dead lean. Again I don't know if this is your problem but it very well could be.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wide band stays right around 14.5. - 14.0, I think I have it solved, I changed the throttle follower multiplier table in the 1200 and 1600 rpm to 1.5 and 2.0 and that seems to have stopped the stalling, it just hunts a little then settles back at a solid 950rpm.

Quick Reply: Dies with throttle