Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cammed 5.3l won't keep running

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cammed 5.3l won't keep running

Is it possible to run a cammed engine on stock tune? I'm just trying to get to the dyno tuner but can't get the engine to run for more than a few seconds. Its a 06 5.3l ported heads and 226/228 cam(or something close don't have sheet on me). It won't start up for while turning it over for a couple seconds. Sometimes shoots flames out exhaust and makes a popping sound then fires up for a second or two and quits.
I'm assuming I need to tune this but I can't get to tuner without it atleast moving.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have something else wrong. It should start and run on the stock tune. Might have to give it a little throttle input to keep it running but popping and flames out the exhaust is not normal. Something is out of time or exhaust valves are open when they shouldn't be.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm ok. I'll start going through troubleshooting. Any ideas on what would be good to test?
Old 01-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and as an update I did manage to get it running last night. It would idle(struggling) and then steadily climb in rpms. Sounded good though. Fuel pressure is at a steady 58psi at all times. It ran first time after I hooked up fuel pressure gauge which is probably just coincidence but who knows. I kinda figured maybe I had an air pocket in the fuel lines of the intake.

Quick Reply: cammed 5.3l won't keep running