Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing for high compression hci builds

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Timing for high compression hci builds

Not looking for exact figures to build my timing table, just looking for experiences as far as timing adjustments you guys had to make after going with a rather high compression cam and heads setup from stock or bolt-ons.

For example, I used to run anywhere from 23-27* of timing on a stock compression LS2 with bolt-ons. Since doing the heads (with a redesigned combustion chamber) and cam, I find that I cannot run much more than 17-23* of timing even with a rather rich mixture. This has been the experience over many many tanks of gas from different brands so it's not the case of just bad gas.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've run 18 to 28 on high compression. Depends on the setup.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

its hard to pull off more than 20-22 degrees of timing on a fbo ls2. Seems you have more efficient heads and if you dont have a donkey dick cam then i would run lower timing than 20-22.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've run 18 to 28 on high compression. Depends on the setup.
Can you touch up on that a little more...what different factors allow for more (or less) timing when dealing with a setup vastly different than stock? For example, xx size heads/cam you can run more timing while xy size heads/cam you can't? Or is it not as simple as that?

Seems you have more efficient heads and if you dont have a donkey dick cam then i would run lower timing than 20-22.
To elaborate more on the setup, the heads are ported AI 243 castings (with their re-contoured chamber) and a mid 220s cam with tight LSA and +2 advance. SCR is 11.5 but with the early IVC of the cam the DCR is upwards of 8.9.

I hope to take it to a dyno in the near future to really see how the different timing/mixtures react in terms of power...but I was just curious as I didn't expect to be so timing limited even with the higher DCR.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

As crazy as it sounds my car likes 29 at peak hp and as high as 31 at one point.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Can you touch up on that a little more...what different factors allow for more (or less) timing when dealing with a setup vastly different than stock? For example, xx size heads/cam you can run more timing while xy size heads/cam you can't? Or is it not as simple as that?

To elaborate more on the setup, the heads are ported AI 243 castings (with their re-contoured chamber) and a mid 220s cam with tight LSA and +2 advance. SCR is 11.5 but with the early IVC of the cam the DCR is upwards of 8.9.

I hope to take it to a dyno in the near future to really see how the different timing/mixtures react in terms of power...but I was just curious as I didn't expect to be so timing limited even with the higher DCR.
8.9 DCR are you sure? You cant really run pump. As said I think u should stay in the late teens with that compression ratio or at least get a step colder plug and do a pass, pull em, see if the timing and heat range is spot on. Or take it to the track and see if your mph increases.

29 degrees on an ls2 on pump gas? I find that hard to believe unless it has a big cam and bleeds off most of the compression in a sense.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
As crazy as it sounds my car likes 29 at peak hp and as high as 31 at one point.
That's what it liked on a load bearing Dyno? I have only tuned 1 ls1 that actually wanted that kind of timing. It was a 13:5 427 race motor though. 99% of the vehicles i retune I end make more power with a lot less timing.

Quick Reply: Timing for high compression hci builds