Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baseline tune help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Baseline tune help

Car is a 99 camaro. Has the factory computer and harness, but I swapped the motor to a 6.0 truck motor with lsa heads, btr cam, headers, lse intake and injectors.

So my question is can anybody help me with a baseline tune? I really only want to get the motor fired up and checked for leaks, get antifreeze in it, etc. Then take it for a dyno tune. I just don't want to take it somewhere to have issues before they can even tune it. Or can I do that on the stock tune? I'm a little worried about the bigger ls3 injectors.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have hp tuners or efi live? We offer base tunes through email and also through the mail if you send in your pcm if you dont have tuning software.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

I dont yet, but do plan to buy hptuners. The car isnt complete enough to do this yet, just trying to lay out a plan. Is that something you could get reasonably close with a mail order or email tune? cost? cam is 229/248 .615/.596 114+5, heads are stock lsa's. thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

If it were me, I would swap the injectors back out, fire it up, get you coolant and leak check done, and then swap back the injectors, and get it tuned. I can't see spending the $ on a base tune, to then have it dynoed, unless your made of $. It's $100 in credits alone. Even with unlimited years unlocked, I haven't seen anyone offer a base tune for less than $150. So basically your spending $150+ to just check for leaks, and get coolant in it? I did it because I had to have vats unlocked, but if I didn't have to do that, there is no way I would spend that $ for an hour of runtime. JMHO.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Well considering the rest of the money converting everything in the car, $150 is just another drop in the bucket. Not even sure if the ls1 injectors will fit in the ls3 intake/rail. The last thing I want to do is take it to my tuner with a bunch of bugs to fix before he can tune it.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Nope LS1 injectors will not fit in place of LS3 injectors. Besides the height difference, the LS3 has a lower O-ring of larger diameter.

Do not even try to start a car when the tune does not match the injectors.
You would be pig rich, but other combinations could be engine-damaging lean.

I would suggest starting with a mail order tune, e.g. from LSX Power Tuning. With your "typical" add-ons, I suspect they can get the tune very close to perfect.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I wouldn't even consider starting it, lol. And there is just too much that could be wrong to gamble with taking to a tuning shop without testing it. Gonna call lsx power tuning today.

Quick Reply: Baseline tune help