PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 lsx wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 lsx wiring help needed

Hey guys. new to the forum and the whole generation 3 small block in general and need some help. heres where i am. i drive an 89 mustang lx that I'm ls swapping. I'm doing the swap with a 02 4.8 vortec out of a Silverado. so far i bought a 02-04 ls6 cam and intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors. I'm having my heads slightly ported and polished. also putting 2" ls1 intake valves in it with a 6 angle valve job. i want to run a t56 manual tranny but don't want to do any body fabrication. i have a t56 out of a CTSV and found out that thats the worst t56 candidate to use for my car. so in the mean time I'm mocking up the t5 mustang tranny to it. now i already have the motor mounts, tubular k member, and holly muscle car oil pan w/ pickup.
Now that i gave you my whole life story lol, here is my first of many questions. i know that essentially a vortec and ls have a lot of interchangeable parts. can i use an ls1 engine harness and ECU on the 4.8. Keep in mind that i am using ls1 injectors and will be running an ls1 MAF sensor? i will be running a manual as well.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Yes you can
Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 PM

not to sound like a pain but i herd some where that the exciter plates in the ls1 and vortecs are a little different so the computer won't read the position of the crank correctly. is that true. if it is completely true i can use an ls1 harness and computer does anyone have one that i can buy and how much?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

The crank reluctors are the same. No issue there. I'm running my 5.3 with a 99 Camaro harness and ECU. Works beautiful.

Camaro/Firebird harness s pretty nice to work with.
Truck harnesses also work. I find they have a lot more un-needed stuff to remove.

If running a 4L60, you will need an auto trans harness that orig ran a 4L60.
If running a th350/400, a man trans harness works.

You will also need to consider cable TB or DBW. Cable is much simpler.

Prob also easiest if you start with an ECU from a 4.8. Although any will work. A 4.8 operating system can be transferred.

0411 or 4896 pcm are the ones to get. But I've found that the Junkyard will likely have no clue if it came from a V6 or a 6.0.

I bought 5 recently. And got 2 V6, two 5.3 and one 6.0.

Have fun
Old 03-11-2015, 08:50 AM

so therefor if i got an ls1 vett/camarro/firebird harness for manual trans then i should be set with running my t5. want to run it as a standalone system anyway. and re wire auto meter gauges and so forth. where can i find one of these readily available for less then my whole life savings (auto parts stores, THE DEALER)

Quick Reply: 4.8 lsx wiring help needed