Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default timing

As stated in a previous post, I swapped my 98 PM for a 01 and am trying to work out the bugs.
The main issue is my idle. When I crank the car, I have to apply throttle not to fire up, but to stay running. If I don't rev the engine and let it was back down it will die. The confusing part is that the timing at idle is 15-16 on a commanded 24. So far I have not found the problem.
Any thoughts?
When I am sure there are no wiring issues, I am going to button it up and see what else might be an issue
Old 04-18-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sooo
The issue causing the low timing apparently was the over under table. It seem to subtract the timing from the idle table. I changed it and the timing is now back in, although not much help with the idle.
This swap has been a train wreck
When I crank the car, it flares up, then will settle back to 500rpm and usually die.
If I do give it throttle and ease it back, it will idle OK.
The MAJOR issues;
If I rev the throttle hard (park or in gear) it shows "reduced power" and traction control issue". It gives me PCM codes 102 and 103. (The maf is failed at 0 and I have both of these lights on "3" and unchecked in the DICs) And a 1517 in TCC.
AND; if I place the car in drive, it "free revs" like it is low of fluid and slipping. Only if I put it in 1 or P, will it move normal. My guess is D or 3 is the actual gear it is in. (will try to check that with a scan)
Old 04-18-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Im the only one posting, but I changed the settings in what I call the 1514 table and it stopped the reduced power issue
I logged the gear and it 1st it in 1st gear when the selector says D or 3, so Im not sure of the issue there.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Sounds like your idle needs some tuning and that you have other issues that need to be addressed.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Remind us what your mods are and post your tune.
Have you confirmed that your IAC works? E.g use the scanner to force different values and see how that affects the idle speed?
Old 04-19-2015, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the latest file
I will eventually find the flare up issue, but the trans problem is the big one. If I cant find something in the tune, I will have to pull the PCM back out and recheck all of the wires, so I wanted to make 100% sure it wasn't something in the tune (the PCM came out of a manual)
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
TC5newpcm15.hpt (464.1 KB, 39 views)

Quick Reply: timing