Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing tune for LS1 to LS2 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Preparing tune for LS1 to LS2 swap

Car will be ready to fire by this evening if all is well.

Cam is nearly identical to the old cam: 230/238 but new cam has 1* more advance and .020" more intake lift.

Heads have undergone a decent bit more port work to intake and exhaust ports along with a valve job, surfaced .003" for a clean up.

LS1 knock sensors have been relocated to the sides of the block via drill/tap the block bosses and a purchased harness extension.

Cam sensor extension harness has also been purchased. Engine is from a 05 GTO with the same reluctor and I have the appropriate cam timing gear and brand new cam sensor.

I will be doing a complete touch up on the tune but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything related to the displacement change so I will be as close as possible. Does anyone know the table numbers for EFI live that should be adjusted? I tried a search and must not be phrasing it correctly. I can probably find it by poking around and want to say it's in the same section as the VE tables and labeled something along the lines of cyl volume.

I've read the knock sensor tuning can be cumbersome when relocating the ls1 sensors to the ls2 locations. Any tips on where to start for adjusting the knock sensor sensitivity?

Any and all tips appreciated.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 04-22-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

In HP Tuners the "General" tab has a place to enter the engine size.
Are the injectors the same? If not, get the right data in.

I had the knock sensors in the same position on the side of my LS2 block and they seemed to work fine - they occasionally triggered at the track around 3600 rpm at the start and when I reduced the advance there, they no longer triggered. I never heard the knock.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Same injectors. I think I found what I needed in an archived EFIlive forum post.

I fired it last night on the old tune and it started and was running perfectly so tonight the plan is to get it road ready, schedule a front in alignment (changed upper control arms), and then fine tune everything.

It definitely sounds healthy
Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

I found a thread where Blacky from the EFI Live forum went over what to do for a ls1 to 383 swap so I went off that for now.

I adjusted the cyl CC volume and also added the % difference in displacement to my current VE table.

Next step will be wideband and running a full CALC.VET log to make further adjustments after I double check my injector data. A member sent me a link to a tune file which supposedly has really solid data for the GM supercharged 3800 injectors I'm using.

As always open to any advice. I'm as novice as they come.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I don't see why you need to change the VE table after increasing the cyl CC volume.
When I just changed from an LS2 to a LS3 stroker 419, I only changed the engine size and new injector data. While the higher-overlap cam required reducing the lower RPM VE values, my higher RPM VE values were within 3%, including the WOT values.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

The post I read stated if you changed cyl volume it would automatically change the VE if your VE was setup to show in percentage but if it was set to show the actual units to add the displacement percentage.

From EFI Live archives:

"If you change the displacement, say from 346 to 383, then that's a percentage change of ((383-346)/346)*100=10.7%. So you need to add 10.7% to all cells in the VE tables - after you change the cylinder volume.

Follow these steps:
1. Open your *.tun file.
2. Change {B0104} to 47.875 CI
3. Save the file.
4. Close the file.
5. Reopen the file (notice the VE cells* are now 10.7% lower)
6. Select all cells in the VE table(s)
7. Enter 10.7 in the Adjust box on the toolbar
8. Click the [%] toolbar button.

* if the VE table is displayed as a % you will see lower values. If the VE table is displaed as the "standard" PCM units of Grams*Kelvin/kPa then the values will not be different (because those units do not include any cylinder volume information). Regardless of the display units, you must always add in the % change that you made to the engine displacement.

You will probably need to retune the VE table anyway because the VE characteristics will most likely change with the new crank. But the % change will get you back close to where it should be.

Paul"
https://forum.efilive.com/archive/index.php/t-554.html

I just went for a drive and had the V2 in the car and my idle and cruise ltft are all perfect now (not sure what they were prior to flashing this base tune this morning). Either way I'm going to redo the whole mess so it's just a temporary adjustment anyway.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Got everything wrapped up. The MAF didn't really change at all and the corrected VE table I had made by adding 5.6% was also nearly dead nuts on, most changes occurred in places the previous engine wasn't running in as often.

The car runs awesome other than some occasional idle stumbles when letting off throttle quickly as under 10mph I need to clean up.

Quick Reply: Preparing tune for LS1 to LS2 swap