PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power accelerating

Ok for starters I have a 01 v6 convertible. I just recently got my spark plugs and wires changed. Couldn't have been more than a month ago. Car was back running great no misfires and just reacting perfect. All until this weekend it ran fine then one morning I go out and go for a drive. It seemed a bit sluggish when first accelerating and just not sounding quite right. Almost like a humming not much of a roar with the engine it was weird but thats the only way I can describe it. It seems like a did before the spark plug and wire change, except for the noise change. It's only when im first getting on it I can tell its not giving me all the power and not sounding right. Now I'm not sure what it can be. Can't already be the plugs since they were just changed and this weak engine rev its making. Any info would help, thanks. Oh yeah and it's not giving a check engine light or anything either.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does it feel like the engine is possibly misfiring? its likely maybe one of the spark plug wires came a little loose or got burned from the exhaust manifold. I'd go around and push on each plug to make sure the wires are seated to the plug, coil, and check for damaged wires.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try to mess with them after work, but yes it does seem to be misfiring a little when im first accelerating. Could any of this have to do with the coil possibly? I had to have one of the coils changed a couple months back so I could see the others maybe needing a change also.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dal300
I will try to mess with them after work, but yes it does seem to be misfiring a little when im first accelerating. Could any of this have to do with the coil possibly? I had to have one of the coils changed a couple months back so I could see the others maybe needing a change also.
Very possible. The PCM should be throwing an SES light for a misfire but as I have found out, well in this case an LS1, that even though there is a miss I never got any codes... thought it was a fouled plug until I went to replace the plugs and found one of the connectors to one of the coils was grounded to the body. (good job previous owner) Fixed that and it ran much better. anyways moral of the story your car could have a miss even though there is no dash light or codes.

You can try unplugging the coils one at a time to pinpoint the bad cylinder by checking to see if there is a change in engine RPM. if there is no change then that's the problem cylinder and maybe a bad coil.

Quick Reply: Loss of power accelerating