Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BS3 or Dominator EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BS3 or Dominator EFI

Car is 95% done, build thread is here:https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ld-begins.html
I put the stock ECU and harness back on for now, the tune should be ok for me to at least fire the motor, it was done with the F1 making 18lbs.
I have very little tuning knowledge but I think I am pushing the limit of the stock ECU. I like the self learn function of the Holley but also hear great things about Big Stuff 3. The tuner that used to tune this car has now moved so either way I am in search of a new tuner in the Connecticut area. Or if I do end up going Holley, do I even need a tuner or is it that self capable?
Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Holley without a doubt. I tune both almost every week and like Holley much better. As far as "self learning" that's about the most misunderstood option out there. All its doing is using a wideband O2 sensor and correcting your fuel ( with bs3 and fast can do). You still have to set it up correctly and have the rest of the tune right. The Holley does allow you you transfer the fuel correction to the fuel table which is nice.
I have re-tuned a lot of Holley setups that were tuned by the owners and in most cases I didn't make a lot hp but the smoothness and drivability was night and day different once I was done. Holley is the easiest to use IMO out of the aftermarket systems out there.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be willing to bet BS3 sales are hurting at this point. Only the die hards still using it. It was a bad *** system years and years ago, but is so antiquated at this point I see it as obsolete. Wait a minute.........I think antiquated and obsolete mean the same thing. I failed english but you get the point.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only real downfall to the Holley is the traction control(Davis). I believe it's driveshaft only and wheel differential isn't possible. I would probably pickup the holley if they added the ability to use abs sensors for the front and back.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information, that is what I was trying to find out about the Holley's learning feature. I think I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the Dominator setup. After comparing the two and trying to gather as much info as possible the general consensus sees to be Holley hands down. I want to get to the point of being able to tune my own stuff and think its a good system to learn with.
The only real downfall to the Holley is the traction control
The ABS was eliminated when the new turbo setup was installed so for me that wont be an issue, but see how it could for a more daily driven car.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ProEFI is really good too but has no learning. Traction control is built in and has a ton of safety strategies like the holley and can control a crazy number of devices. Boost controllers/NO2 etc.

I think Holley's biggest selling point is the online support via their forums and the updating of their FW.

To make things worse, take a look at the AEM Infinity 8/8h. They have LS harnesses and seem to be very similar in features to the ProEFI.

Most of the traction control systems can get away with placing a sensor close to the back side of the lug nut studs. As long as you have at least 4 stud hubs they will work. It's actually pretty neat.

As an example

I know you said you weren't overly interested in TC but just thought it was interesting.

Last edited by Exidous; 06-16-2015 at 02:04 AM.

Quick Reply: BS3 or Dominator EFI