Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98-99 Wiring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98-99 Wiring Issues

Ok, new username not new to LSX. I know this has been talked about 100's of times and ive done my searching. Still a few specific questions I have not been able to find the answer for. Lets start with the facts of what I have:

98 Firebird Formula A4

Performed the 99+ PCM upgrade years ago. Engine gave up later, (as 98's do) now I have an 01 LS1/T-56. I used the engine side harness from the 01 SS Camaro roller in the 98 Firebird body. No problem there

I will soon be swapping the whole fuel tank, sending unit, pump and all from the 01 SS into the 98. I have a 00 cluster waiting to be installed for the difference in the fuel pump readings. no problem there
I have contemplated the cluster pinout swap, with a few questions remaining:

I have not seen one whole thread or write up that shows exactly what to do with all the wires, circuit numbers dont interchange (slightly expected). I want the vitals to work, I dont care about ABS, SECURITY, or BRAKE lights etc.
Heres the real question-
I have not seen anywhere that identifies if the Camaro(V8) 99+ body side (that goes to the firewall and feeds the cluster with 2 connectors) is the exact same pinout and color as a Firebird(V8) 99+. Are these 2 in fact the exact same? I have the 01 SS roller that would seem a lot easier to swap that short body harness if they are the same, while ruling out any of the mess of the 98 leftover PCM swap. Any help from the gurus out there? TIA
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX904
Ok, new username not new to LSX. I know this has been talked about 100's of times and ive done my searching. Still a few specific questions I have not been able to find the answer for. Lets start with the facts of what I have:

98 Firebird Formula A4

Performed the 99+ PCM upgrade years ago. Engine gave up later, (as 98's do) now I have an 01 LS1/T-56. I used the engine side harness from the 01 SS Camaro roller in the 98 Firebird body. No problem there

I will soon be swapping the whole fuel tank, sending unit, pump and all from the 01 SS into the 98. I have a 00 cluster waiting to be installed for the difference in the fuel pump readings. no problem there
I have contemplated the cluster pinout swap, with a few questions remaining:

I have not seen one whole thread or write up that shows exactly what to do with all the wires, circuit numbers dont interchange (slightly expected). I want the vitals to work, I dont care about ABS, SECURITY, or BRAKE lights etc.
Heres the real question-
I have not seen anywhere that identifies if the Camaro(V8) 99+ body side (that goes to the firewall and feeds the cluster with 2 connectors) is the exact same pinout and color as a Firebird(V8) 99+. Are these 2 in fact the exact same? I have the 01 SS roller that would seem a lot easier to swap that short body harness if they are the same, while ruling out any of the mess of the 98 leftover PCM swap. Any help from the gurus out there? TIA
They are the same.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
They are the same.
From what I described, Everything should be plug and play correct?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98-99 Wiring Issues

If you are talking about the dash harness then no they are not the same. If you use the 99+ gauge cluster then you would need the swap the dash harness. I did the swap a month ago and I used the 99+ engine and dash harness, plus a cluster out of a 2000 TA. I had to ground the starter relay to get it to start cause the bcm isn't sending the signal to the relay. I think it's cause of the security system but I haven't looked into it. I still have issues with the abs/tcs but if that is not an issue for you the you should be good with just swapping the dash harness.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The way I read was he was asking is a 99 V8 camaro dash harness is the same as a 99 V8 firebird harness, which they are.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by red_00z28
If you are talking about the dash harness then no they are not the same. If you use the 99+ gauge cluster then you would need the swap the dash harness. I did the swap a month ago and I used the 99+ engine and dash harness, plus a cluster out of a 2000 TA. I had to ground the starter relay to get it to start cause the bcm isn't sending the signal to the relay. I think it's cause of the security system but I haven't looked into it. I still have issues with the abs/tcs but if that is not an issue for you the you should be good with just swapping the dash harness.
Yes, I am going to use the 99+ dash harness for the 99+ cluster. I am going to hardwire the Key resistor/security circuit during this so I do not have security issues. Im just literally removing all vital powertrain and gauge related wiring from the 01SS into a 98 body.

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
The way I read was he was asking is a 99 V8 camaro dash harness is the same as a 99 V8 firebird harness, which they are.
Yes that is what I was asking. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: 98-99 Wiring Issues