Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS - ECM output voltage range?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS - ECM output voltage range?

I've seen a lot of threads on VSS and ECM troubleshooting but I can't find anything as in the weeds as I'm looking for. I'm trouble shooting VSS on (let's call it) a 4th gen Camaro. ECM reads the VSS signal as good (speed works on live data log and in software) and is currently outputting a .06 -> .48 VAC pulse to the gauge cluster (pin 50, green/white on ECM). Any one know if this is a good PPM output range? Long story short the speedo and odometer don't work and I've tested everything up to the speedo. I just don't know if this is "good" output. Before I go buying a new gauge cluster I figured someone on here would know.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by duckmanjbr
I've seen a lot of threads on VSS and ECM troubleshooting but I can't find anything as in the weeds as I'm looking for. I'm trouble shooting VSS on (let's call it) a 4th gen Camaro. ECM reads the VSS signal as good (speed works on live data log and in software) and is currently outputting a .06 -> .48 VAC pulse to the gauge cluster (pin 50, green/white on ECM). Any one know if this is a good PPM output range? Long story short the speedo and odometer don't work and I've tested everything up to the speedo. I just don't know if this is "good" output. Before I go buying a new gauge cluster I figured someone on here would know.
Is the cluster a 4th gen Camaro or is it a 4th gen pcm in some other vehicle?
Did it ever work correctly?
How are you reading this signal, unless you're using a scope you're not seeing the signal. It is a variable freq pulse not a varing voltage. Dash clusters fail at a much higher rate then the vss output on a pcm
Old 07-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pacer Racer
Is the cluster a 4th gen Camaro or is it a 4th gen pcm in some other vehicle?
Did it ever work correctly?
How are you reading this signal, unless you're using a scope you're not seeing the signal. It is a variable freq pulse not a varing voltage. Dash clusters fail at a much higher rate then the vss output on a pcm
4th gen ECM and a Dakota Digital dash. Worked good for a few years and just stopped. I'm reading it off a Fluke meter. I see the pulses and I see it's a set voltage @ .48 VAC. I'm just wondering if that's a normal output signal from the ECM. I'm thinking the gauge cluster is bad and I'm just trying to verify before I go through the hassle of warrenty.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Unhappy Bump

Nothing? No one can verify the normal out put on a ECM? I thought 5v output was normal and I'm only getting .5v on the output to the gauges. Anyone?

Quick Reply: VSS - ECM output voltage range?