PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

SRS light, failed inspection, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015 | 05:43 PM
Teching In

Default SRS light, failed inspection, need help

i just bought a 1998 black trans am with a lq9 motor running on a 04 gto ecu. i took it for an inspection and failed for several reasons, ive fixed all of them but the air bag light. i was able to figure out with the help of a diagnostic tool that my instrument cluster communication failed. from the little bit that ive been able to find on the issue that my cluster has to be mated to the pcm, my guess is that i am not. no srs codes where thrown while checking with the scan tool, just the communication error. i have an appointment with my local chevy dealer scheduled for monday but i want to know what to expect and what to ask them to do. is there a way to do this myself? any rough ideas how much i should expect to pay for the dealer to fix this? is it something they will even touch being that it has so many parts from so many different vehicles? thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 08-30-2015 | 09:48 PM
Teching In

What state are you in, VA?

Most states will pass inspection with the SRS light on.
Old 08-31-2015 | 01:16 AM
Teching In

Yes, I am in Virginia. I was failed for the light among other things, Virginia is a little strict. Only in America do we have the right to be married to someone of the same sex under the premise that what you do is your business but if you want to drive down the road without air bags that's not gonna fly.
Old 08-31-2015 | 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure the dealer is the best choice. The swapped ECU will probably make them not want to touch it with a 10ft pole. Mostly the jump in years as the ECU's after 98 were a bit different.
Old 09-16-2015 | 02:43 PM
Teching In

update, I took it to the dealer and its a bad clock spring, they are discontinued so rather than pay an astronomical price for one I used resistors in the plug to turn out the light. Worked great.

Quick Reply: SRS light, failed inspection, need help